Mounting A Network Drive?

I'm just about done setting up my new Garuda laptop, and I have one more program needed for work, KeepassXC and the database is located on a Windows server at work. I'm guessing I need to mount the network drive to access the database through the software? I don't see an option to access the network through the software. Any ideas? Am I missing something? Or maybe an easier way to do this?

KeepassXC is available on the repos.

As far as accessing the Password DB, you'll have to take that up with your IT people. There are a bunch of ways to go about sharing info like that, they're the only ones who will know how to access that from an external source, or even if that's possible.

1 Like

The software is looking for a file. You have to create access to your Windows server. You should ask your work IT on how you can do that, if you don’t know already. Depending on the existing requirements, you need to do something relevant. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I am the IT at work haha. I can get to the database, I know where it's at because I put it there. But what I can't figure out is how to point the software TO the network shared folder/file. When I try to manually go to the location of the file within the Keepass software, there are no options to open up the network folder. None that I see anyways....

Off to the left of the Open Database window under places. There isn't an option to search the network. And when I try to manually go to the server in the URL bar using smb:// and type the path, nothing happens.

So that's why I was thinking if maybe mounting the drive from the server that the database is located on might possible show the mounted drive under the "places" menu?

I'm a Windows guy, Linux is still very new to me as I've just never had a reason to mess with it until now. So I'm still learning my way around this distro.

is this remote or localy

Currently remote but I'll be accessing it in the office as well. Using Remmina for the RDP sessions.

Well… I shouldn’t say something like this to an IT guy, but… have you read the application manual or any usage instructions? Connecting Keepass to a network file is a standard usage scenario and I have done it in the past myself. I don’t use it now, so I can’t help more :man_shrugging:

These MS IT guys… :unamused: :roll_eyes: :face_with_head_bandage: :tired_face: :man_facepalming:

I would use a systemd-autmount in /etc/fstab. Something like this:

//servername/sharename /path/to/mount cifs x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.idle-timeout=1min,rw,uid=yourusername,gid=yourgroupname,credentials=/etc/samba/private/sharename.cred,iocharset=utf8,vers=2.0 0 0

See here for what the .cred file needs to look like.

3 Likes

I figured the MS IT guys jokes would be coming :roll_eyes: but seriously... I'd though there would be a shortcut to the network within the "places" section to the left side of the window. I mean... Debian based distros do, as I did have this software working on Ubuntu and Mint without any issue at all what so ever.

No, I'm not going to go back to Debian so please don't suggest it... We all have to start somewhere, I've been using an Arch based distro for a whopping 3 days now...

Maybe it's a bad port from Windows to Linux within the software? Shit programming from the get go? I dunno... Not even sure mounting a network drive would allow the option to show...

The Linux equivalent for a maped network drive is a mounted network drive, as suggested from @dalto . You will find the SSH wiki article very helpful, as well as the mount wiki/man page.

4 Likes

Ya, Arch is a bit more hands on with mounting your network shares.

BTW Windows guy, Samba sucks, NFS rocks.

Haha. :rofl:

3 Likes

So, got the drive mounted and didn't work. The mounted drive wouldn't show up in the list of viable options to choose from. But... I did some poking around of my own and found a solution. Not sure it's the proper way of doing things, but it works!

I ended up creating a new link to file or directory within my documents folder linked to the database file on the company server. That then showed up within KeepassXC and linked it too that, opened the database and brought across all of my data!

Like I said, don't know if that's the right way of doing things but it works haha

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.