Manual Intervention required ppp (2.5.0-1) breaks dependency 'ppp=2.4.9' required by networkmanager-fortisslvpn

Hello Garuda users.

It seems the latest update is failing for everyone collectively due to the error,

:: installing ppp (2.5.0-1) breaks dependency ‘ppp=2.4.9’ required by networkmanager-fortisslvpn

The reason this is happening is one of the packages networkmanager-fortisslvpn has been removed from the extra repos of arch and it’s AUR version has been marked orphaned

aur/networkmanager-fortisslvpn 1.4.0-3 [+0 ~0.00] [Orphaned]
NetworkManager VPN plugin for Fortinet SSLVPN
aur/networkmanager-fortisslvpn-peerdns 1.4rc1-1 [+1 ~0.00] [Out-of-date: 2022-07-01]
Fortinet SSLVPN support for NetworkManager
aur/networkmanager-fortisslvpn-git 1.4.1.dev.r33.g0f1b6f9-1 [+16 ~0.00] [Orphaned]
NetworkManager VPN plugin for fortisslvpn - git checkout

which effectively means this package is no longer supported. This package is available by default to all garuda users due to a dependency created by the meta package networkmanager-support. The resolution to this is:

1. Remove networkmanager-fortisslvpn forcefully
sudo pacman -Rdd networkmanager-fortisslvpn
  1. Update system
garuda-update
  1. Cleanup orphan packages left on your local system.
sudo pacman -Rns $(pacman -Qtdq)
10 Likes

Additionally, it does not get pulled by networkmanager-support again on version 1-7.

4 Likes

I am getting the following errors when trying to update,

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing ppp (2.5.0-1) breaks dependency 'ppp=2.4.9' required by networkmanager-l2tp
:: installing ppp (2.5.0-1) breaks dependency 'ppp=2.4.9' required by networkmanager-pptp

Should remove both of them?

I think this might be a mirrorlist issue
I have all 3 packages updated to the latest version and,

Repository      : extra
Name            : networkmanager-pptp
Version         : 1.2.12-3
Description     : NetworkManager VPN plugin for PPTP
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/NetworkManager
Licenses        : GPL
Groups          : None
Provides        : None
Depends On      : libnm  libsecret  ppp=2.5.0  pptpclient
Optional Deps   : libnma-gtk4: GUI support (GTK 4)
libnma: GUI support (GTK 3)
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Download Size   : 125.73 KiB
Installed Size  : 611.26 KiB
Packager        : Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) <[email protected]>
Build Date      : Friday 16 June 2023 09:01:51 PM
Validated By    : MD5 Sum  SHA-256 Sum  Signature

You can try

sudo pacman -Rdd ppp

following this update which should pull ppp 2.5.0-1` as well.

4 Likes

That worked!

1 Like

Sure, just do confirm that ppp has been reinstalled in your system or not, it seems like an important package for NM

╰─λ pactree --reverse ppp
ppp
├─modemmanager
│ ├─modemmanager-qt
│ │ └─plasma-nm
│ └─networkmanager-support
├─networkmanager-l2tp
├─networkmanager-pptp
├─pptpclient
│ └─networkmanager-pptp
├─rp-pppoe
└─xl2tpd
└─networkmanager-l2tp

current ppp version; 2.5.0-1
current networkmanager-pptp version: 1.2.12-3
current networkmanager-l2tp version: 1.20.10-1

2 Likes

Yup, the latest version of ppp has been reinstalled.

2 Likes

Small fun fact, cleanup is the alias for this command in Garuda :smiley:
System is updating without a hitch. Thanks heaps :+1:

5 Likes

You are the admin :slight_smile: , but read
https://forum.garudalinux.org/t/ppp-2-5-0-1-breaks-dependency-ppp-2-4-9-iii/30824/14?u=sgs

2 Likes

I previously never had any problems with the more aggressive approach, but bluishhumility’s post seems to be a better approach to handle orphans. I might use it when I face a situation where I don’t want to get rid of all orphans in my system.

2 Likes

So, just so I understand - I updated my system today, and got a package conflict message regarding fortisslvpn, and it gave me the option to delete it before updating - which I did. Everything went fine on the update - is there something I need to do now? Or does everything in this thread not apply? Thanks.

1 Like

You should be all set. They pushed a hotfix for it so all the manual work is no longer needed.

Welcome back by the way. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Great, thanks for the info, and the welcome back!

1 Like

Hello all, seeing as the solution seems to be removing fortisslvpn, will this cause issues when using forticlient VPN? I use it for working remotely

Hi @Slicer, welcome to the community.

networkmanager-fortisslvpn was dropped from the Arch repos, which is what kicked off the whole problem because it was still listed as a dependency for another package. Even though it is no longer in the Arch repos and it was dropped as a dependency for networkmanager-support, networkmanager-fortisslvpn is still available in the AUR. If you have issues using FortiClient VPN without it, you can just install it from there.

paru networkmanager-fortisslvpn
3 Likes

Oh okay understood, thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.