LXQT-KWIN Installation Fail on Macbook

Hey all,

Iv already installed dragonized edition on my main computer which I really enjoy.

I decided to install the LXQT version on an old black Macbook 2008 so I could give it some new life.

It already meets the minimum requirements ( has 5gb of RAM and 120GB storage and 64 bit architecture)

However I am unable to complete the installation as there is an error when installing. I get the following error

" The bootloader could not be installed. The installation command < pre> grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=Garuda --force < /pre> returned error code 1."

I have formatted my drive multiple times and created a new partion when using the live installer but it just keeps failing.

Hi @DystopianDissenter, at some point in the past six months or so we started seeing a lot of issues installing onto older Macbooks. Look at all these threads that come up with a simple search:

I'm exactly sure what the deal is (I don't have a Macbook, and some of the threads are hard to follow), but it has something to do with when Calamares calls efibootmgr during the Grub installation process. The issue seems to be specific to Macbooks, and Arch-based distros.

The last thread linked up there has a solution which is both fascinating and bizarre, involving booting to a Debian live environment, installing efibootmgr, manually writing an EFI NVRAM entry for Garuda, then booting into the Garuda live environment to repair Grub from a chroot. *wipes sweat from brow*

As bizarre as that solution is, it did end up working for multiple people. If you are feeling up to a little hacking around, it might be worth a shot.

3 Likes

Hey @BluishHumility , really appreciate the quick reply and posting relevant threads for solutions to this issue I am having.

Currently reinstalling it and then going to give the efibootmgr method a go.

Will let you know how it goes and *fingers crossed :slight_smile:

So update, this solution of efibootmgr from a live Debian ISO worked :slight_smile:

Thanks so much for this! Now can finally enjoy using it!

1 Like

Nice one! I'm glad you stuck with it and got it working.

I'm still scratching my head on that solution because it is just so unusual...:thinking: But, it seems to be working, so you can't argue with that. :man_shrugging:

There are also lots of guides on installing Arch on a Macbook 2008 on youtube, just fyi. Also to note, installing linux on macbooks should work until after 2015 releases, then they introduced a lot of new proprietary (dock bar above keyboard, and more) features that are iffy on linux.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.