Linux & Tech news 📰

Exactly. I always go through and turn off all the Bitcoin whatevers and add-revenue options, after that, all is good.

2 Likes

I prefer Garuda artwork.

8 Likes

South African water and sewage control systems potentially hit in global hack

3 Likes

http://techrights.org/n/2023/12/04/GNU_Linux_Popularity_Surging_So_Why_Did_MakeUseOf_Quit_Covering.shtml

5 Likes

In relation to the above…

GNU/Linux Apparently Growing Closer to 4% Worldwide Right Now (Not Counting ChromeOS, Which is Also a GNU/Linux Operating System)

The bug, tracked as CVE-2023-45866, doesn’t require any special hardware to exploit, and the attack can be pulled off from a Linux machine using a regular Bluetooth adapter, says Marc Newlin, who found the flaw and reported it to Apple, Google, Canonical, and Bluetooth SIG.

Newlin says he’ll provide vulnerability details and proof-of-concept code at an upcoming conference but wants to hold off until everything is patched. The attack allows a nearby intruder to inject keystrokes and execute malicious actions on victims’ devices, as long as they don’t require a password or biometric authentication.

7 Likes

I used to use Brave in the last year or two. Then on “chrome 119” release, video decode accel stopped working somehow and switched to firefox (firefox best here for video on wayland).

It isnt bad, but how come vertical sidebar and firefox pwa, two major usuability enhancers are not included on firefox, is beyond me. (but themes on super fat tabbars are… sure, great).

Anyway… they all work kinda okay and nice. Brave for everything except video and firefox for video (somehow firefox plays a 8k video here without even sweating, even better than mpv, but I have mpv on high quality profile, so…)

Would like to use vivaldi, but then Stallman interjected!

So… qutebrowser FTW!

6 Likes

Is this info of use to the Garuda web site?

6 Likes

To answer your question, I find it interesting and relevant.

In this particular case though, he focuses on Russia and the middle east hackers doing this. LOL. Like the US gov’t/agencies aren’t doing this as well. Besides that, good info. First thought, always use a VPN I guess on your devices and computers to prevent man-in-the-middle hacking?

6 Likes

http://techrights.org/n/2023/12/07/The_Effort_to_Silence_Squash_GNU_Linux_Advocates_and_Press_Cove.shtml
I like this site, it’s just punching M$ in face (?)

2 Likes

If you trust the VPN provider I guess. Which is another smelly can of worms.
“Who’s watching the watcher” as the saying goes.

Authoritarian = they tell you and that’s it
Non-authoritarian = they try to gaslight you first

5 Likes

We do it, just not “as well” IMHO. It takes TRILLIONS to fund an army; one line of code to bring it down. We’re (the U.S.) still stuck in tanks-and-trench-warfare mode, I kinda think.

Spend kajillions to develop a new weapon, or send some smart kid to the U.S. for college so they can code one cheaper. Dealer’s choice.

4 Likes

I think it is both. Trillions of dollars missing during 9/11, no one cares. Just recently, they did a budget analysis again, more trillions of dollars go unaccounted, no one cares.

All that money goes into black budget projects they don’t want to run by congress…and who knows what tech that supports, along with weapons.

6 Likes

And in the meantime they cant fund $35billion to replace the lead pipes and let people die from lead poisoning for goodness sake lead pipes were replaced in the 1960s in the UK and Europe, even 3rd world like Peru don’t use lead pipes. The richest country in the western world wastes 1’000s of billions of $ fighting wars that are nothing to do with them but does not care about clean drinking water for its own people

7 Likes

It turns out they have a common enemy in their VM security goals: x86 32-bit software.

The big picture: In what’s become a cat-and-mouse game between YouTube and ad blocker developers, Google appears to be making its boldest attack yet. A new policy featured in the Manifest V3 extension platform could destroy ad blockers on YouTube for good, at least on Chrome.

Can’t say any more :wink:

9 Likes

Another reason to switch to firefox and firefox based browsers , I use firedragon :dragon: (because I also like dragons :yum: )

What do you use ? :wink:

4 Likes

Floorp
Reason: Sounds cute :rofl:

4 Likes

Also Floorp.

Silly name. Great browser.

:grin:

https://www.reddit.com/r/browsers/comments/14n5zw7/floorp_is_impressive/

As a footnote, it’s really customizable. Below is my setup…

5 Likes

Sounds great, but Floorp still has no mobile app. Bit of a deal breaker for me as I do most browsing on my phone when I have spare time.

3 Likes

Who needs water when one has Coca Cola (or Pepsi, not trying to start a war here!!!)

qutebrowser

asked directly (not me) to the author of qutebrowser (The-Compiler):

https://www.reddit.com/r/qutebrowser/comments/xpahb6/manifest_v3/

3 Likes