Linux & Tech news 📰

PipeWire 0.3.71 brings "many" performance improvements and various efficiency enhancements, continued work on BAP devices, and a new zero-latency JACK D-Bus bridge was added.

6 Likes

and...

5 Likes

Linux kernel 6.2 arrived less than three months ago on February 19th, 2023, and it introduced new features like protective load balancing (PLB) for the IPv6 stack, a new FineIBT control-flow integrity mechanism for x86, support for the Intel “asynchronous exit notification” mechanism, and more Rust infrastructure.

Being a short-lived kernel branch, Linux 6.2 has now reached end of life (EOL) with the Linux 6.2.16 release that was announced today by renowned kernel developer and maintainer Greg Kroah-Hartman, who urges users to upgrade to the latest Linux 6.3 kernel series as soon as possible.

AMD engineer Basavaraj Natikar realized a missing check in the USB XHCI driver can avoid an extra 120ms delay during system resume time. It's only 120 ms, but it's a broad win given it's for the XHCI driver code and part of their larger effort of improving the AMD Ryzen platform on Linux and this 120ms savings is from altering one line of code.

VKD3D-Proton 2.9 is exciting in the performance department with having "greatly reduced" system memory requirements during the first run of the game/application. SPIR-V code previously held in memory for "just in case" purposes is now no longer done so.

Another notable VKD3D-Proton 2.9 performance improvement is making use of VK_EXT_graphics_pipeline_libraries "GPL" functionality to avoid shader compilation stutter in select cases. The Vulkan GPL support works with the likes of Mesa 23.1's RADV driver.

7 Likes
8 Likes

Sarcastic Boy Meets World GIF

11 Likes

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=2100542#p2100542

Post #797. User shraiwi managed hardware video acceleration in Chromium build 113 , currently Stable. This would apply to Intel HD GPUs, apparently--I dunno about others. This should also apply to Chrome and some Chromium-based browsers if they're on build 113.

I've been following this thread for a couple of years.

6 Likes

With this transition complete, Arch Linux packages are now available via GitLab hosted at gitlab.archlinux.org.

Due to moving the community repository into extra, updating Pacman is necessary. The asp tool has also been deprecated and users will instead need to use the pkgctl utility.

KDE Plasma is one of the first GNU/Linux desktop environments to receive HDR (High Dynamic Range) support and initial support was already merged for the upcoming KDE Plasma 6.0 series during the recent HDR hackfest organized by Red Hat in early May 2023 and last week’s Plasma 6 sprint in Augsburg.

HDR support in Plasma 6 will be available for the Wayland session, which will also be enabled by default in the upcoming release. “This also lays the groundwork for color management on Wayland,” said KDE developer Nate Graham in his latest blog post.

9 Likes
4 Likes

https://invidious.garudalinux.org/watch?v=GkxAp2Gh7-E

3 Likes

GitLab has released an emergency security update, version 16.0.1, to address a maximum severity (CVSS v3.1 score: 10.0) path traversal flaw tracked as CVE-2023-2825.

GitLab is a web-based Git repository for developer teams that need to manage their code remotely and has approximately 30 million registered users and one million paying customers.

The vulnerability addressed in the latest update was discovered by a security researcher named 'pwnie,' who reported the issue on the project's HackOne bug bounty program.

It impacts GitLab Community Edition (CE) and Enterprise Edition (EE) version 16.0.0, but all versions older than this aren't affected.

5 Likes

Szyszka 3.0 - simple file renamer with a lot of new and useful features.

4 Likes

they didn’t mentioned garuda anywhere ? :wink:

3 Likes

It's all a matter of taste, no need to worry.

6 Likes

Even Endeavour is not mentioned, arguably the 2nd most popular Arch-based distro after Manjaro.

7 Likes

Right!?! Blaspheme. :garuda:

6 Likes

And I thought the only real dandy-eye-candy was Mabox. The others were either unremarkable, or too over-the-top. And one appeared to be a Garuda imitator(?).

7 Likes

Personally I’m not fussed by the looks. That’s easy to change with a theme. I more prioritise performance and optimisations like with Cachy for example.

3 Likes

Good news for India :yum: :

The official site :
https://righttorepairindia.gov.in

Summary

Even iPhone makers will have to follow the rules, so no more monopoly by them :grin:

9 Likes

I really hope ad blockers block the .zip and .mov domains in their entirety.

6 Likes
6 Likes