Linux & Tech news πŸ“°

"Friendship ended with Pacman now Snaps are my best friend"

Oh no, this won't end well.

9 Likes

I wish I could live off advertising revenue, too.
On the other hand, I would hate to be dependent on it. :grin:

1 Like

You have to give them kudos for choosing 'snaps'. Nothing gets the blood boiling than hearing that as an alternative. :laughing: :fire: :poop:

4 Likes

Oops sorry!

Only a hint :slight_smile:
greetings SGS

2 Likes

HIs GIMP broke.

Seriously? :joy:

No clue what he is doing but I've never heard of anyone having similar problem. Seems like it's time for a reinstall

I do, but I run it on my little pi :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The suggestion was for posting links that direct to Invidious, instead of to YouTube. Hosting your own instance is not necessary for following this suggestion. By the way, Garuda hosts an instance anyone is welcome to use for watching videos or sharing links: https://invidious.garudalinux.org/

On a somewhat related note, check out this excellent browser extension which facilitates automatic redirection to an alternative front end when clicking a YouTube/Reddit/Twitter/etc link:

6 Likes

The KDE Project released today KDE Plasma 5.26.4 as the fourth maintenance update to the latest KDE Plasma 5.26 desktop environment series addressing more bugs and polishing existing features.

NVIDIA released today NVIDIA 525.60.11 as a new production-ready version of its proprietary/open-source graphics driver for GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, and Solaris systems adding numerous improvements, new features, and bug fixes.

OpenRGB is a stellar open source project that aims to allow you to deal with all the various RGB lights your hardware comes with, as most vendors don’t have apps for Linux. It’s cross-platform so it works across Linux, macOS and Windows.

The Wine 7.22 development release is now available for the open source Windows compatibility layer, as they continue working towards the Wine 8.0 release. This is part of Steam Play Proton, which allows you to play tons of Windows games on Steam Deck and Linux desktops. Once a year they make a big new stable release, and eventually Proton updates to it too.

For those of you with newer macs wanting to install linux… Apple SoC CPUFreq Linux Driver Moves Closer To Mainline

8 Likes

Oh yeah, and 50 years ago today...Pong was released, thus heralding in the era of exchanging coins for pixels.

12 Likes

Oh my, you're starting to make me feel old when something that happened a half a century ago seems like yesterday. :older_adult:

8 Likes

Yeah, I aged myself with this one as well. Time man, it goes by so fast. :older_man:

5 Likes

Bah, humbug. Tempus Fsckit.

3 Likes

I swear this forum is basically a retirement home​:joy:

8 Likes

CVE-2022-4139 was made public today as an i915 kernel graphics driver security issue affecting all Gen12 graphics – from integrated Tigerlake graphics up through the latest Raptor Lake graphics as well as the in-development Meteor Lake code plus the discrete GPUs of DG2/Alchemist and Arctic Sound.

Nearly two years of development has gone in to shaping Xfce 4.18, which is due for release on December 15, 2022. The release will be the stable series follow-up to Xfce 4.16 which debuted back in Christmas of 2020 (and brought some cool new features like fractional scaling support).

6 Likes

Plasma 5.26.4 has a crash fix when hovering over panel. Nice!

2 Likes

Linux Goodies abound....

digiKam 7.9.0 is released

• Fix of Google photo login and remote album management.
  • Better management of faces location from metadata.

• Database schema migration backward compatibility.

• Better support of coordinates import from metadata.

• Better ISO date format support from metadata.

• Better performance with album management from a remote database.

• Fix application window positions under Microsoft Windows.

• Better Tags import and merge with items metadata.

7 Likes

Hackers hijack Linux devices using PRoot isolated filesystems.

6 Likes

Congrats ClamAV on releasing 1.0 after twenty years. :tada:

:crossed_fingers: Here's hoping the average Linux desktop user can continue to not even bother installing antivirus software for another twenty years. :joy:

14 Likes

Cross them fingers blue lol!