Linux Kernel 6.5

Just curious, but I saw Manjaro has a new release with the 6.5 kernel already... was wondering what timeline / cadence Garuda usually follows for rolling out new kernel releases? Been looking forward to 6.5 for various improvements, including a patch that hopefully fixes an issue with no sound on my LG Gram laptop. thanks!

We do not have our own packaging for kernels, but we do use kernels in the Arch repo (where, for example, linux and linux-zen 6.5 are still in testing) and some kernels in Chaotic AUR (some of them are already aligned to 6.5). Up to you the choice.

3 Likes

There are no reasons for creating new releases just because of a kernel upgrade, if you want to use 6.5, you can install the linux and linux-headers packages, and then boot into it.

6 Likes

You can just install the Linux mainline kernel in Garuda and will have a 6.5 Kernel. (6.5.1 IIRC)

4 Likes

ah, OK... I'lll give that a shot, thanks!

Ah, ok... I didn't realize they were still in the testing phase in the Arch repo... makes sense then. thanks!

I gave mainline a try, my sound issue still there... guessing the patch/fix hasn't been promoted yet... no worries, I just need to be patient until it is released. thanks everyone.

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=217673

1 Like

If you want to try that patched kernel they mention in the bug report, it is available in the Chaotic-AUR:

pacman -Ss linux-next-git
chaotic-aur/linux-next-git 20230825.r0.g626932085009-1
    The Linux NEXT kernel and modules
chaotic-aur/linux-next-git-headers 20230825.r0.g626932085009-1
    Headers and scripts for building modules for the Linux NEXT kernel

You can install with Pacman:

sudo pacman -S linux-next-git linux-next-git-headers
3 Likes

We do not know his CPU, I am on 6.5.2 :slight_smile:

System:
Kernel: 6.5.2-AMD-znver3 arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 13.2.1
clocksource: tsc available: hpet,acpi_pm
parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/@/boot/vmlinuz-linux-amd-znver3
root=UUID=fc62cc44-07ab-497b-ac89-15704c290993 rw rootflags=subvol=@
rd.udev.log_priority=3 vt.global_cursor_default=0
systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=1 loglevel=3 amd_pstate=active ibt=off
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.