Letting the user choose which shell they want on setup assistant

There's 2 issues that could be solved with this. First, giving users both the pros and cons of each shell (and a warning that using fish they will have issues with flatpaks, also adding that to the wiki and/or before they install dr460nized if possible) and second, it would quickly enable users to change shells without having to search on how to change and enabling the Garuda stock configurations for each shell.

The only complication is that I don't know how much work it would take to implement this, but if it doesn't take too much time and effort, it could make the distro even friendlier to noobs.

4 Likes

use Mint :smiley:

No risk no fun.
At some point you must start to learn, why not in the beginning?

5 Likes

I like the idea. And it should be quite easy to implement in theory :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Theory is my life :smiley:

2 Likes

I mean, I know Arch isn't for the faint of heart, but I think this distro really has the potential to become what Manjaro or EndeavorOS became to Arch, being the frendlier version of it for those who want to learn more about Linux in general while still being on a rolling release (and not being mistreated by Manjaro's poor handling of some aspects of their own distro).

Also having that option with a little helper explaining the pros and cons of each one (even if only in the wiki) would really help those who want to know more about their differences and build the Wiki into a stronger source of information.

1 Like

That they MAY have issues with Flatpaks. With as many users using Fish now if it was as widely spread issue pretty sure it would of already been corrected by the devs for both Flatpak and Fish by now.

1 Like

We need user like you to help with the wiki :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can't say for all users, but I can say confidently I faced issues with it with the stock dr460nized config, and I had no idea why until I saw someone mention it here in the forums. Changing the shell to zsh solved it instantly for me.

2 Likes

I'd actually love to help, even with translation.

3 Likes

As for having the option during install or right after landing on the desktop, say as part of the Welcome app would be nice. I have Fish in EOS and have the Flatpak issue. My roommate however is on Manjaro still cause I haven't had the time to finish setting up his Garuda. In Manjaro he has never been on Fish, but the Flatpak issue is there. Looks to be mainly a Fish issue, but also some without Fish have the issue.

2 Likes

@AlienProber I like the idea of using the Welcome app. I first installed Garuda about six months ago, After installation, there was text document that was displayed and mentioned several things that a new user should do first.

gary

3 Likes