Latte-Dock tends to freeze up whole system

What I would try is the following:

1. Use latte default layout, does it freeze?
  2. Replace latte tasks with a plasma taskmanager inside a latte dock, does it freeze?
  3. The discussion has become totally untrackable, latte tends to freeze system, when? on startup, on activating tasks, etc... etc...

Best way is to open a bug report and follow bug tracking guidelines, the more people that will step in and will follow the guidelines, the best it is.

Best guideline is of course that in a bug report we talk only about that specific bug, it is not a forum structured conversation that different topics can appear in the discussion.

6 Likes

Check your autostart stuff:

sudo pacman -S --needed dex
dex -ade KDE
systemctl --user list-units -t service
2 Likes

I guess I can rule out latte-dock as the cause.
For me the most common app to cause this was Firefox and Thunderbird

I tried launching multiple apps over terminal for example like
firefox >/dev/null & newsflash>/dev/null &
and kill it immediately like
killall firefox & killall newsflash &
over and over.
This should make the system freeze in a couple of tries the same way it does while launching from latte-dock.

So I now believe its an issue with firefox and thunderbird.
Its just that other methods of launching are slow enough to mask the issue present.

@psifidotos and @petsam, to answer your questions,

@psifidotos

1. Use latte default layout does it freeze? >> Yes.
  2. Replace latte tasks with a plasma taskmanager inside a latte dock, does it freeze? >> I have no idea what this means
  3. The discussion has become totally untrackable, latte tends to freeze system, when? on startup, on activating tasks, etc... etc... >> Sorry, ive been really busy and only got time so often to look at the forum. It tends to freeze the system when i launch anything in a short time after a reboot, or when i launch anything when system usage is high.

@petsam
sudo pacman -S --needed dex >> Check.
dex -ade KDE >> All seems fine.
systemctl --user list-units -t service >> Everything fine, other than Profile-sync-daemon which exited.

@scmaruthi thats an interesting find! im pretty sure if thats the case then electron apps suffer too, because discord makes the system lock up and is based on electron. Ive also only had freezes with web browsers and discord because thats the only thing that i open and close really often.

Still, latte-dock tends to crash itself when system usage is high, which is kind of annoying, because sometimes it cannot be started back up.

What can this mean? Can you give an example of what would be not fine?

Tasks is a plasmoid. Latte Tasks is a plasmoid. An alternative to Latte tasks is standard plasma Tasks (task buttons or some similar name).

You own your time, so use it as you prefer. Although, since this issue is not on every Latte user, there is no way for others to imagine or dream of the actual source of the problem, in order to fix it or report upstream. If you don't have time to test or investigate, you can only wait for a future (an unknown amount of time) update to potentially fix it.

In any case, a system freeze should leave some clues in system logs. Maybe Latte is just a coincidence and the real problem is totally elsewhere.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.