Keyboard backlight doesn't work

I had tried several different Linux distros (Ubuntu, Mint, SUSE etc.) running them 'live' from USB and for all of them my keyboard backlight never worked except with PCLinuxOS. I have no idea why that of all distros it worked but it did.

I tried to install PCLinuxOS and got a boot sector error at the top of the install, I soon discovered that none of the different distros I tried would install. I found out it had something to do with windows using a raid setup on my HD instead of AHCI. I heard about Garuda Linux a couple weeks ago and decided to give it a try and see what it was like. It ran 'live' just fine, but still no keyboard backlight.

I decided to try and install it just to see what kind of error I would get and lo' and behold it installed just fine! Yay! I have been running it for a few days now and everything seems to work..except my keyboard backlight lol.

I looked for drivers on the ASUS website (I have a 15' Vivobook) and found my make and model but there was only just the basic networking, audio, video etc. drivers available to download. Nothing for the keyboard/input devices. Do I have any other options? Is there something I'm not thinking of?

I am still learning a lot about Linux even after using it for several years as a basic user. I have learned a lot but I know I still have A LOT to learn. Please forgive my ignorance/lack of knowledge.
I know that of all things I could be dealing with the keyboard backlight is not a 'critical' issue, but if I can get it to work I want too.

If anyone has any advice or know-how in how to resolve my little issue thank you in advance!

Hello.

Post your terminal/konsole in- and output as text (no pictures) from:

inxi -Faz

Without it, you will not receive any help from the Garuda team or your topic is likely to be closed without notice.

Before you open a new help request, read relevant sections of the Arch and Garuda wiki.
Thoroughly search your issue and any error messages in the forum and on the web.

Report everything you have already attempted to solve your problem.

Search for
arch linux wiki asus X512JA backlight
in web.
Model name is in inxi -Faz :smiley: you do not post.

1 Like

Here is the information you requested..thank you for your help.

ASUSTeK model: X512JA

VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X512JA_F512JA

I do not search for you :smiley:

1 Like

I didn't expect you too, my apologies. I have done a lot of searching and I can't seem to find any keyboard drivers. Oh well. :slight_smile:

If ASUS does not offer Linux support and no developer has not developed a fix for it, I can not do anything, unfortunately.

So your model is not listed in the arch wiki?

Search is your friend:

ASUS X512JA backlight Arch Linux

3 Likes

OT
For today, I am blind, I must use voice to text software for this output.
My sunglasses are in my car :smiley:

@sharkscott

4 Likes

I hadn't tried that search, thank you for the link. I am looking at the results now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, so I feel like a dork..lol. The F7 key is the key that would control the keyboard brightness in Windows and in all the things I had tried I had not tried the fn key in conjunction with the F7 key..guess what? I did and my keyboard lights up just fine now.

I am sorry for bothering all of you with my issue and it once again goes to prove that I have A LOT to learn lol.

1 Like

I mark it solved :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.