[KDE] [DRAGONIZED] Bluetooth is not connecting

Glad that helped. :+1:

Bit of a bug going on with grub & btrfs currently.

Method I've used in the past:

These instructions are from a while back when I was using Manjaro (modify for your current kernels).

How to force grub to load a specific kernel at boot.

For some reason grub doesn't at times want to behave and respect my settings to boot the last used kernel. I find it quite annoying when grub mistakenly boots me to another kernel I don't wish to use. If you find this behavior annoying as well, you can force a specific kernel selection as the default grub boot option.

How to hard code which kernel should be the default grub boot option:

Using this method will require occasional updating if you add or remove kernels. If the entry order of the kernel changes, you will need to modify /etc/default/grub to reflect any changes.

To change the default kernel boot order, edit /etc/default/grub and change the value of "GRUB_DEFAULT=":

Example (using numbers):

GRUB_DEFAULT="1>2"

The last number reflects the position of the kernel in the boot entry list, (numbering starts at 0).

You can find the correct kernel boot entry number by searching /boot/grub/grub.cfg with this command:

sudo grep -Ei 'submenu|menuentry ' /boot/grub/grub.cfg | sed -re "s/(.? )'([^']+)'.*/\1 \2/"

The output will be similar to the following list of kernels with their respective boot order.

menuentry  Manjaro Linux
submenu  Advanced options for Manjaro Linux
#0     menuentry  Manjaro Linux (Kernel: 4.20.17-1-MANJARO x64)
#1     menuentry  Manjaro Linux (Kernel: 4.20.17-1-MANJARO x64 - fallback initramfs)
#2     menuentry  Manjaro Linux (Kernel: 4.19.36-1-MANJARO x64)
#3     menuentry  Manjaro Linux (Kernel: 4.19.36-1-MANJARO x64 - fallback initramfs)
#4     menuentry  Manjaro Linux (Kernel: 4.14.113-1-MANJARO x64)
#5     menuentry  Manjaro Linux (Kernel: 4.14.113-1-MANJARO x64 - fallback initramfs)
#6     menuentry  Manjaro Linux (Kernel: 4.9.170-1-MANJARO x64)
#7     menuentry  Manjaro Linux (Kernel: 4.9.170-1-MANJARO x64 - fallback initramfs)
#8     menuentry "Memory Tester (memtest86+)" --class memtest86 --class gnu --class tool {

If you wish to make kernel 4.14 the default boot kernel in the above list, then you would want to add a 4 to GRUB_DEFAULT=.

Before you do any editing, make a backup:

sudo cp /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.bak

Then, edit:

/etc/default/grub 

Set the default kernel by changing the "GRUB_DEFAULT=" line to match the kernel you wish to boot:

GRUB_DEFAULT="1>4"

In the above command, the 1> enters the advanced menu, and the 4 selects the kernel version to boot. It is also necessary to include the above numbers in quotes.

It is important to note that for the GRUB menu entries numbering starts with 0. Therefore the 1 above points to the grub Advanced menu. As a precaution, you may want to set GRUB_TIMEOUT=5. This is in case your entry mistakenly selects the memory test instead.

When you have finished making the edit and saved the changes, run:

sudo update-grub

Then reboot.

As I stated above you will obviously need to modify this for Garuda.

3 Likes

Thankyou again for an alternate solution.
My selection line is now on Advanced and then linux-lts by default (just 2 enter presses are required now which is not a big deal).

I am marking the issue as SOLVED and if anyone have issue regarding bluetooth you must read whole post and YOUR ISSUE IS MOST PROBABLY SOLVED(post solved the BT issue for many different cases).

3 Likes

I'll add one thing to thing and that it's not a perfect fix. Hopefully with the 5.10 the issue will be properly addressed. Twice yesterday for no reason I had to reboot to get the sound back through the headphones, and once after disconnecting the headphones I had to reboot to get sound through my speakers. Not complaining just sayin needs works still.

Perhaps it is the Bluetooth technology itself that is the problem. Back in my Windoze days I got sick of it's flakiness and I've simply refused to buy BT devices ever since. Bluetooth is always the first thing I disable on any Linux install. The 2.4 GHz band Bluetooth uses is over-saturated resulting in drops on 2.4 GHz Wifi as well as Bluetooth because of signal collisions.. Bluetooth is also riddled with security holes and IMO you'd be better off avoiding the technology entirely.

I go out of my way to make sure any wireless purchases I make don't rely on Bluetooth technology. Perhaps after you tire of all the headaches created by Bluetooth's flakiness you will do the same.

3 Likes

It tends to be the drivers rather Linux or Windows. It's nice to keep one from braking wires on plugin headphones, but on a cell phone NO. I'll use wired on a cell because of the power draw of Bluetooth. As for buying I agree. The headset was a gift, and the 4.0 dingle only cost me 3 dollars, As I stated above I can live with a couple of reboots if needed.

@tbg Right On!

2 Likes

Maybe it can only be fixed perfectly at the time of building. For me and many others, alternate fixes ain't any problem. Few kind of glitches are acceptable over the inablity to use Bluetooth completely .

2 Likes

after newest install all updates once again don't autologin setting gets lost and can't connect bt but i know the issue and you made my day thanxxs don't know the exact package name

In my case : Its showing protocol not available

Its great that its working, but switching kernels makes my system very slow, are there any other methods to get bluetooth enabled.

In Garuda Barebones I was unable to connect the bluetooth speaker and I always solve it with the following command:
sudo pacman -S pulseaudio-bluetooth pulseaudio-equalizer-ladspa

PS: By the way I install the equalizer which works great

2 Likes

It looks like the new kernel update has bought back bluetooth functionality and seems to be working well.