JPEG XL [jxls] Files for Garuda Wallpaper?

I haven't been able to try converseen yet, but it might be because the forum software is converting to jpg again.

1 Like

@SGS

I have spent ages downloading wallpapers from the artwork page - I'm currently only a quarter of the way down the page. In total I downloaded 108 files, the majority were jpgs, but there are also some pngs.

I initially converted the files to jxls using Converseen, but I wasn't happy with the file sizes - they were too big. I decided to use an online conversion tool I had previously used, and the resulting files were a lot smaller with no loss in quality.

The end result is 108 jxl files with a total size of 10.6MB. The total file size of the original jpgs and pngs is 74MB.

When I converted the jpgs and pngs to jxls I didn't change the file names, thus if all of the files are put into a single directory an image viewer can be used to go through the files so that any visual differences will be obvious.

I have placed all of the files in an 83MB zip file. How do I get the files to you?

Please, no @SGS needed :slight_smile: (You* will receive notifications because you are watching this topic. *SGS, on the other side I read all in this forum :crazy_face:)

Do you have cloud storage?
You could also open an account on gitlab and store the zip file or the individual jxl files there.
By the way, are you already using these as wallpapers on your computer, which DE?
I read everything, but also forget a lot :wink:
On reddit someone wrote
ā€œCannot add wallpapers with image type jxl.ā€

For me converseen doesnā€™t work and I canā€™t find any jxl files/wallpapers to test.

A link would be helpfully :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No, so I have uploaded the 83.8 MB zip file to Upload files for free - wallpaper-jxl-test.zip - ufile.io

Gnome - I installed libjxl and everything worked after a reboot.

Hereā€™s my desktop:

More software with JPEG XL support: libvips | Imlib2 | Qt / KDE (gwenview, digiKam, KolourPaint, KPhotoAlbum, LXImage-Qt, qimgv, qView, nomacs, VookiImageViewer, PhotoQt) | GDK-pixbuf (eog, gThumb, Geeqie) | EFL (entice, ephoto) | MacOS plugin | Windows Imaging Component | Windows thumbnail handler | OpenMandriva Lx | KaOS | Paint.NET | XnView | ImageGlass | IrfanView | Tachiyomi | Swayimg

1 Like

Not my day, I read
"Existing JPEG images can be converted to JPEG XL in a 100% reversible, lossless way. The resulting JPEG XL files will be about 20% smaller and can be converted back to the bit-exact original JPEG file. "
not .png to jxl.

Did you change settings in Squoosh? If so, which one, to which values.

Iā€™m trying to work my way through this and compare notebook, 4K monitor, TV via HDMI.
But it may take some time.

I used the -git version from chaotic-aur

Seems it does not work in i3 with azote, second, the file names should match the original, but if it does not work with all DEā€™s (if the quality is right) it is unnecessary.

Ok, I just check that you use jpeg files, the files in ā€œShow your Artworkā€, the old ones, are stored as .webp in discourse forum, maybe as jpg too.
My ā€œartworkā€, as sample, are stored in gitlab

only as .png files.

So this converting thing will definitely not be my hobby :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like it would be appropriate to recommend mogrify since ImageMagick supports JXL.

It was driving me nuts when files with the webp extension kept appearing - this explains why.

No.

pngs are converted to lossy files that look better than jpgs and have a smaller file size

ā€œthe overall improvement going from (Moz)JPEG to WebP is about as large as the improvement going from WebP to AVIF, while the improvement going from AVIF to JPEG XL is larger than that and roughly comparable to the improvement going from JPEG to AVIF.ā€

I like a challenge. Iā€™ll convert some of the pngs to jxls and upload them later. If you approve Iā€™ll do them all (but it will take some timeā€¦)

I have completed the conversion. I did it in two batches. The first was to check for compression issues and resolve them, the second batch was simply a case of converting the files and employing a simple fix to any issues when required.

In the initial batch I found the default conversion method didnā€™t like some colour gradients, thus making me use the alternative form of lossy compression on these images - this resolved the issue. The end result is minimal artifacts.

All of the images I converted (both png and jxl) are in the compressed files detailed below.

Total 232 files

png2jxl1.tar.xz

Location of files: https://ufile.io/eamelfpr

jxl: 59 items, totalling 6.6 MB
png: 59 items, totalling 102.6 MB

png2jxl2.tar.xz

Location of files: https://ufile.io/2p1feg15

jxl: 173 items, totalling 18.8 MB
png: 173 items, totalling 311.4 MB

jxl total file size: 25.4 MB
png total file size: 414 MB (includes 3 jpgs)
2 Likes

So it canā€™t be used in i3wm. IDK, if it work not on other DEā€™s too.

Second,

These should not be used but, as I said, this is secondary if the first point is not met.

1 Like

@Colin
Thanks for trans-coding the artwork.
From your initial post I decided to test your suggestion.
I found many pitfalls, to name a few.
The first it is not a well adopted format. Which makes it unusable.
All browsers will not display this format.
Git will not display this format.

Why do you think this is a format that should be used for quality and usability.
Except file size?

1 Like

It works perfectly on Garuda Gnome DE and it offers a simple way to showcase a mountain of excellent wallpapers without wrecking the images with artifacts or bloating the iso. It will actually reduce the iso size even if all of the 232 files are used a wallpaper choices.

I included the original pngs in the uploaded files so that the quality of the resultant jxls could be directly compared with the pngs.

Yes you did and i saw a difference.
But i may be wrong here but when i create a wallpaper or artwork I make it available for anyone in a format that is universal.(open standard)
As sgs commented it does not work in i3wm as with many distro,s or devices.
Which makes it not universal or open standard

2 Likes

Then you should mention this, to

By the way, I had to search quite a long time to find a program that can display these files. The g at the beginning indicates that it has something to do with GNOME :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is only tangentially related, but it looks like Google has decided to kill support in Chrome/Chromium due to a claimed "lack of interest". Hoping other apps don't follow courseā€¦ :unamused: Google Chrome/Chromium Goes Ahead In Removing JPEG-XL Support - Phoronix
EDIT: Also on HN: JPEG XL support has officially been removed from Chromium | Hacker News

5 Likes

"Google also has interest in alternative formats like WebP and AVIF."
Saying Google has an interest in WebP is like saying Google has an interest in Google :rofl:

3 Likes

well... if google doesn't approve jpegxl, I am deleting it right away from my computer!
I advise you to do the same!

( i actually did that pull request before reading this topic :stuck_out_tongue: )

6 Likes

When I started this thread there was no simple way to batch convert PNG files into JXL files, and the resulting conversions from the available converters (Converseen and Squoosh) were plagued with visual artifacts which ruined the image quality.

Some time ago I posted a link to a piece of software called Converter at The GNOME Way - #93 by Colin. Its aim is to convert image files into different formats. I decided to convert the wallpaper PNG images I'd previously downloaded into JXL files to see how it performed. I batch converted 58 PNG files into JXLs at 98% quality, and it took about a minute to do. The total file size of the images was reduced from 101MB to ~15MB.

I have uploaded pngs-jxls.tar.gz to Upload files for free - pngs-jxls.tar.gz - ufile.io. Its size is 116.1MB and it contains the 58 PNGs and their corresponding JXLs for the purposes of comparison. The only difference I can see when comparing PNG images to JXLs is the file size (and I'm wearing my glasses :grin:).

It would be great to see Garuda with a lot more wallpapers OOTB, and the creators now have a good tool to easily compress the image files so that this can be done.

If there are reasons why this can't be done then this thread can be closed.

We are happy to deliver wallpaper, we could also save space if the supplied compressed.

But I think this format, is not yet displayed, in the log in managers or the wallpaper managers.

You can also host all the ones you like on github/gitlab, with the notes about the creators and their copy rights. But they already exist there. :slight_smile:
I wouldnā€™t recommend .io for this.
Too often, itā€™s free until enough people use it.

Throwing users hundreds of wallpapers they donā€™t like just because they hardly take up any space?

2 Likes

Just for your information.
I add jxl format to the forum software, but I think the browser failed.

https://jpegxl.info/test-page/

2 Likes