Issue with display resolution

i recently moved into garuda by the recommendation of a friend. i use 2 monitors. one running on external gpu and the other on motherboard display. it recognizes my second monitor but the resolution is 1024x768. i want to change into 1280x1024. i've tried all xrandr commands and it just turns the display black and the only thing that shows up is my cursor and nothing else. i've looked in many places for a solution and found nothing that worked.

pls help

Hi there, welcome to the forum!
Please always provide in new topics, as requested in the template, the output of garuda-inxi, formatted like this:
~~~
copy text here
~~~
Provide also any other relevant information (e.g. your xrandr).

5 Likes

uhmm i tried with so many possible solutions and nothing worked. so i gave up lol

Funny thing is, from your forum profile it appears you've only read 3 threads on the forum, (well more likely 2 if you don't count this one).

I'm not sure that those stats really give the impression you've done much research on your own. Just sayin. :person_shrugging:

4 Likes

Xrandr needs you as a user to tell it what it should do with your display and what resolutions it should run on.

If you're one of the very few AMD R9 270/R9 370x multi-monitor users like me , you're faced with very few solutions but to learn how to properly config xrandr

start by getting the info xrandr needs for the resolution you desire plus refresh rate, then create an entry for that specific resolution and finally add it to your desired monitor's list of usable modes.

i.e.

$ cvt 1600 900 60

#The result of the above command is all xrandr needs for the next command. Note that this will most likely be much different than your display specs.

$ xrandr --newmode "1600x900_60.00"  118.25  1600 1696 1856 2112  900 903 908 934 -hsync +vsync

#You can then add it to any display's list of modes for example adding it to my dvi output I do :

$ xrandr --addmode DVI-I-0 1600x900_60.00

Ofcourse, you can just substitute my example with your own specifications

I had 0 prior experience with command line or xrandr before I had to resort to this so I'm relatively certain an easier method exists but by adding it as a script to launch at boot you never have to worry about it until you install different drivers etc.

2 Likes