Is the Garuda forum newbie friendly?

I think our philosophy is dead center between the Arch forum and EndeavourOS. On the one extreme you have Arch with their RTFM mentality, and on the other you have EOS that has the patience of Job with new users.

We try to be helpful to everyone, but there is also an expectation here that users perform some research on there own.

11 Likes

As far as I may be concerned, I don’t mind someone being rude to me. This would improve me, making me search for my flaws.
But I don’t accept anyone being rude to all the rest of users, considering their own subjective taste and specific needs, to be a priority over all the rest.
And it is not an accusation, when what you say is a fact. It is a claim. Selfishness is an unknown principle to Open Source Free Software. How could one take advantage of something that is freely provided (no pay) and the effort a developer has done is also provided for others to take advantage of (open source code)?

Satisfying everyone’s needs is not forbidden, but cannot be set as a priority to a developer.

And for the specific case, when someone knows that a feature can be applied successfully with no effort, when asking to embed an automation to a live image, the least he could think of, search about, or ask about, is if this functionality is easy or difficult to implement.
How is insisting to your rightfulness with no clue of what you are talking about a sane behavior? No, it is not. It is the intention that is problematic. I don’t tend to judge others’ intentions, although sometimes I fall into the hole…

Let’s do a nice change for the new year: Feel for the others, more than for ourselves. This would make the next year more promising.

Now, what emoji fits better here??.. :thinking:

10 Likes

:wink:

12 Likes

I saw that review on distrowatch, and I think this is a good response to it. It shows that the dev team actually cares what users think, unlike the arch forums. :slight_smile:
I think a lot of the "unfriendliness" comes from the language barrier, although I have seen some short "RTFM NOOB" answers. Not very many, though.
You have to understand that a lot of users are of varying skill levels. Some are absolutely new, coming from macos or windows where they are used to being led around for every little thing.
The philosophy is different in linux, and some of these people are not going to adapt to the "you have to configure this" or "sometimes stuff breaks and you have to use basic troubleshooting to fix it yourself."
This isn't microsoft with a staff of thousands that may or may not be doing proper testing, this is a small, dedicated, and very talented dev team that has a lot going on to KEEP the releases rolling.
Just my two cents.

5 Likes

Well that’s a contradiction in its self For Ms the user is the tester, no different to Linux. Ms has the least official support you can have, even the forums are not official.

Yes these few guys do do a great job as do all Linux distros, the weak link is the users that seem to become unable to follow a few simple instructions lol

7 Likes

well, ya see, that's a feature of microsoft's business model. why pay your qa guys to test stuff further when you can just push it into the wild and a small minority of users that encounter the bugs will become more than just annoyed and report it?
By the way... Microsoft offers excellent support for the enterprise. Which you pay out the nose for, just like the licenses for their operating systems. Peer support... yeah. Google is your best friend.
It isn't just lazy users, though, new users that are used to the microsoft/mac model of being led around and hand held for every little thing is a problem. The biggest problem I see for a new distro is overcoming the arrogance of some of the more advanced users that would rather be elitist and just run around screaming "RTFM!" all day.
Overcoming the conditioning of years of hand holding to the "help yourself get help" model is hard for a lot of users.

6 Likes

I use a button for that :smiley:

rtfm-sgs

The only thing with us that does not require any qualification is a reproduction (children), for everything else you have to take exams or read manuals (washing machine as an example) but for an operating system on the PC expect too many users free individual training with convenience copy and paste templates. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Apart from the language barrier that makes it difficult to a non-english advanced user explain in a dialect that non-english speakers would understand, which makes a popular short word (RTFM) easier to answer and express all things you want to say, there is also the misunderstanding of newcomers, or bad attitude fellas.
I appreciate this reading very much, explaining the issue as possible.
Archlinux users are not rude at all. They just value their personal time. Spending your personal time to help ungrateful users, is like stealing from your family or yourself.
We are not Arch, but we want to be as close as possible, as there is a reason to keep things simple… they don’t break!

8 Likes

Working where i have for the last 20 years I understand totally about the non-native english speaker problem.
I always found the arch forums (and reddit) to be pretty toxic, though, just from attitude. if you don't want to help, sometimes its better for the community to just ignore the thread then have an attitude about an answer.
One thing I used to teach my support employees when dealing with the user side, always try to set realistic expectations for the user. In linux, I think users should realize up front that there is more work to maintaining a linux box then booting up windows every morning.
Here in garuda I don't see a whole lot of bad attitude and it has something that disappeared from manjaro this year... we have an actual community here.

6 Likes

Me too :slight_smile:
Can we copy and paste? :wink:
Translation is difficult at some points for deepl
but the text hit the nail on top (german saying :wink: )

4 Likes

There is no disclaimer for copyright. I think he would appreciate a link :wink:.

3 Likes

I was talking to tbg earlier about support stats from my last job, and its shocking how many people just want you to do their work for them. That kind of user isn't going to stay with linux, it will be too much work for them.
This is one of the many reasons I love linux, my control over what is actually happening on my systems.
Here it is "Hit the nail on the head."

6 Likes

I had translated it simultaneously and without help, your text is what I wanted to say. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

yup. i lived in germany in the early 90's, i've lost almost all of my german though. I loved the place.

4 Likes

Thanks for the ESR link. I can never get enough. The “Questions Not To Ask” portion is very instructive. :smiley: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

regards

3 Likes

Since I posted my beer-fueled rant 4 days ago, Garuda has moved from 28th to 26th place on distrowatch. I'm well aware of the flaws in their metric, but still, it's an influencer.

I predict Garuda in the top 10 by late Spring 2021 and a bazillion noobs flooding the forum. You built something cool. It's attracting people.

4 Likes

Beginners do not even know that there is DW or Garuda.
The rest of the people who come here only pretend that they have no idea and only want to test the moderators about the existing knowledge.

5 Likes

Newbies we can handle. It's the trolls that come out of the woodwork as your ranking rises on Distrowatch that is the killer. Dealing with all the trolls that infest a forum when they smell fresh meat is the worst part.

And of course many trolls simply masquerade as newbies to string people along for their own perverse amusement. However, we're prepared for the inevitable troll onslaught. We'll be sure to unload on the trolls with both barrels, and up the daily bag limit when troll season opens. As you already mentioned, troll season is expected to open in the spring.

Be prepared, get your tags now.

8 Likes

Which is when I leave. Off to The Next Big Thing. :frowning:

That’s how it usually works. But if I’ve learned one thing in Linuxland, it’s that “First Adopters” get shafted in the end, in the end. Not by the developers, who have built something out of love, but by the masses who demand the distribution be built to their (low) standards. Or by corporate smurfs seeking fame, popularity–and cash.

It’s a double-edged sword. Choose your weapon wisely.

16 Likes

one of the reasons i chose to adopt garuda was its a highly polished arch with a small dev team. i think this team will keep this distro under control.

9 Likes