Intel GVT-g and KVM breaks Sway

I’m trying to use Intel GVT-g for a Windows 11 KVM guest.

I’m using a 10th gen intel processor, and I’m using tiny11 for the windows 11 iso.

I followed the arch wiki in order to set it up (Intel GVT-g - ArchWiki) .

I can create a new virtual GPU just fine but strange things happen when I spin up the WM. Once it spins up the host Sway desktop breaks. All windows dissapear, I can still see the i3status-rust waybar and the SWAY wallpaper but I can’t launch any gui apps with my sway shortcuts (I assume that they are starting in the background). The exception is nwg-bar whcih still starts.

I’m not sure if this is a fault with Sway or the KVM setup. I’ve added a bunch of kernel parameters in an effort to fix this (pcie_acs_override=downstream aiommu=pt kvm.ignore_msrs=1) part from the ones in the arch wiki.
The modules required seems to load alright and iommu seems to be active. Any ideas of what could be wrong would be appreciated. I’ve spent more time on this than I care to admit.

What’s the problem with not posting garuda-inxi?
It contains additional, useful information about the status of your system.

Again the template

:warning: Missing information requested in the template may result in not receiving assistance

Make sure you have done the following before you post:

Issue still unresolved? Then:

• ONE issue per topic.

• Describe your issue in detail. The more we know, the better we can help

• Show us the results of your searches, and what you’ve tried

• After rebooting, post the FULL output of garuda-inxi in the body of the post (not linked externally, or collapsed with the “hide details” feature)

• Format terminal output (including your garuda-inxi) as a code block by clicking the preformatted text button (</>) , or put three tildes (~) above and below the text

Without garuda-inxi this request will be moved to 412 Precondition Failed

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.