Installation of Garuda on USB Key

Hello,

I want to install Garuda Linux on a USB key because dual booting is not recommended.

I have two questions:

1. Which USB key is recommended for the read and write speeds? For the size, I’m considering purchasing either a 128GB or 256GB one. My usage will mainly be for coding.

2. Can GRUB recognize the USB key when it’s plugged into my PC and directly launch from the GRUB menu or set up the system with GRUB?

Currently, I have a dual boot setup with Windows and Ubuntu, which is why I already have GRUB on my system.

You will need to go to BIOS for entering live session

From there you can install Garuda on USB stick

And it neither recommended to use USB,
I think you will always need to go to BIOS to boot into it :thinking:
I have never did it my ownself so I cant say about it :slightly_frowning_face:

Welcome to the forums @RyanLru.

IMHO it doesn’t matter where the other OS is installed, two on one system is dual-booting.

Generally speaking, installing an OS on a USB stick isn’t recommended either.

USB flash doesn’t usually have the write endurance of a SATA or NVMe drive, so log writes and such will lead it to an early death.

Maybe pick up a used SATA or NVMe drive on ebay or what have you, if your system has room for another.

As for #2, this might be helpful:

I have always seen this approach as very difficult in past topics in the forum.
I don’t remember how they ended up, but my opinion is that Garuda is a performance-focused distro, and installing it in a USB seems a bit against that logic.
And the difficulties mentioned above may be greater than the dual boot effort.

4 Likes

Thanks for your reply,
I have a SSD NVMe 4.0 of 1TB but I don’t think it’s possible to share it with a new empty volume and install on it?
For example, 500GB for personal files and 500GB for the OS, could it be possible or not?

If you really wanna go the USB route aka use your USB stick as a computer I would recommend something meant to be used in that manner like puppy linux.

Puppy Linux is an operating system and family of light-weight Linux distributions that focus on ease of use and minimal memory footprint. The entire system can be run from random-access memory (RAM) with current versions generally taking up about 600 MB (64-bit), 300 MB (32-bit), allowing the boot medium to be removed after the operating system has started.

puppy linux will boot as root only. Will operate exclusively in RAM and once you are done and wanna shutdown it will ask where to save the new changed state in. Which can be your USB stick or smth.

Yes it is.

Yes I know but I am in school and I need my ubuntu for coding and exam I don’t want make a third boot because inside my pc is a NVMe of 500go, maybe delete ubuntu during holydays to switch with Garuda but I thinks juste delete ubuntu on my os and keep Garuda on my ssd if possible

Okay, I don’t want make mistakes I watch this video
Video of usb installation

Time code of partition : 6min50
Is good way? I make a blank partition of 256gb in my ssd and I do what is said in tutorial?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.