Image hover preview

In Dragonized Garuda, when I hover over a thumbnail of a jpeg image file in Dolphin, I get a slightly larger view of the image pop up with what looks like Exif data. In Multimedia Garuda, I do not get any "preview". What do I need to set in Multimedia Garuda to get that preview when I hover the mouse over a thumbnail of the image.

You can check the optional dependencies of packages using pacman -Si, for example:

$ pacman -Si thunar
Repository      : extra
Name            : thunar
Version         : 4.16.3-1
Description     : Modern file manager for Xfce
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/thunar/start
Licenses        : GPL2  LGPL2.1
Groups          : xfce4
Provides        : None
Depends On      : desktop-file-utils  libexif  hicolor-icon-theme  libnotify  libgudev  exo  libxfce4util  libxfce4ui  libpng
Optional Deps   : gvfs: trash support, mounting with udisk and remote filesystems
                  tumbler: thumbnail previews
                  thunar-volman: removable device management
                  thunar-archive-plugin: archive creation and extraction
                  thunar-media-tags-plugin: view/edit ID3/OGG tags

Then, you can install any that are missing to add additional, optional, functionality.

I did that and everything was exactly the same. But in Multimedia, I also can not get dolphin to sort alphabetically either. Maybe I will try to reinstall.

Check the right preview box in Dolphin’s preferences?

Why don't you use the Information panel in Dolphin? Press F11 in Dolphin. No other Filemanager in Linux has this feature. It shows video duration, bit rate, resolution of images and videos, word count and much more. Pretty amazing. Dolphin also has more ways of tweaking different aspects than almost all file managers, except perhaps Krusader.

P.S. If you are someone who works a lot with multimedia or graphics files, I don't think you can find a better filemanager than Dolphin. But in stock Dolphin right out of the box, most of the features are hidden. They're easy enough to find and properly set up though. So give it a go. :grinning:

1 Like