How to prioritise aur over chaotic-aur

First of all feel free to go to hell as I'm actually using Endeavour OS with chaotic-aur ( thank you very much for this btw ) :wink:

If you're willing to help my issue is:
I’ve been using chaotic-aur for a few packages such as the wine builds. However stuff from aur is duplicated but isn't updated as often as aur.

Currently if there is a package that is more recent in aur than chaotic-aur it won’t update it. I was wondering if anyone knew how I could change this behaviour.

For example when trying to install zoom with chaotic-aur enabled I get:

[duncanm@arch Downloads]$ yay -S zoom
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) zoom-5.6.6-1

Total Installed Size:  191.42 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] n

When I disable chaotic-aur I get:

[duncanm@arch Downloads]$ yay -S zoom
:: There are 2 providers available for zoom:
:: Repository AUR
    1) zoom 2) zoom-system-qt 

Enter a number (default=1): 
:: Checking for conflicts...
:: Checking for inner conflicts...
[Aur:1]  zoom-5.6.7-1

:: Downloaded PKGBUILD (1/1): zoom
  1 zoom                                     (Build Files Exist)
==> Diffs to show?
==> [N]one [A]ll [Ab]ort [I]nstalled [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)
==>

So chaotic-aur is preventing me getting the latest packages if the ones in chaotic-aur are older.

Simple answer:
Do not use chaotic-aur. Remove it :wink:

2 Likes

That would mean giving up the tkg wine builds and the bmq kernel :frowning:

If there's no solution I'll live with occasionally disabling chaotic-aur and running an update.

I think it is easier to remove the chaotic-aur package, then build it/acquire it from the AUR. Then the updates for the AUR version will be the default position without hiding chaotic-aur. I already do this with a couple of packages. It used to be that the AUR was faster than chaotic for large pkgs - but the opposite is now true :grin: I keep those couple of things as AUR only though.

1 Like

Whenever you notice something being outdated don't hesitate letting me know so it can be updated for everyone! :slight_smile:
(The easiest way to do so is by creating an issue here: Issues · chaotic-aur/packages · GitHub)

Afaik you can also paru -S aur/zoom to prioritize AUR over the repo for the current package (anyway, just updated that :stuck_out_tongue: )

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.