How to install Brave browser, Libreoffice, etc

Howdy, I'm new here and definitely new to Garuda. I'm no stranger to Linux Mint. But I downloaded Garuda this morning and I should say also that 'coding' is also not a specialty of mine.

So I wouldn't know any variations between terminal names. But the terminal that came with my Cinnamon flavor distro is absolutely foreign to me.

Therefore, I can't simply enter normal sudo commands because this terminal doesn't seem to speak that language. Let's start with the Brave Browser; someone tip me off how to download and install that.

Then, I was a bit surprised that Libreoffice didn't come along with the install. How do I get that? Does Garuda have anything like the Synaptic download manager? Or Software manager? I'm kind of lost. I'm not fond of Firefox.

3 Likes

Which DE you use?
Start software or in terminal/konsole

~~~
pamac
~~~
use

sudo pacman -Syu libreoffice-fresh

Terminal is alacritty with fish as shell? :smiley:

and
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Absolutely no idea. I only know it's not like the terminal in linux mint.

1 Like

If you want to install software, do a quick

sudo pacman -Syu

and open the setup assistant afterwards :blush:
It recently got improved (thats why updating it before) and lets you install all kind of software :wink:

3 Likes

I'll give that a try.

I'm trying right now. It's at the 'testing mirrors' window.

Is there a specific example?

Worth reading in advance of answering that:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta

3 Likes

Looks like I'm getting there. Won't know until it's done. But I'm in Alacritty

At 44%. If that seems slow. Our internet speeds aren't as fast as Deutschland. We can get some really fast speeds, but those are meant for businesses. And they're pretty costly.

Seems to have worked fine. I'll play around with it later. Thank you so much. Danke

3 Likes

brave choice comming from linux mint to garuda ... but the wisest... nothing is better than archlinux and specially garuda... lot to learn with a somewhat easy path... i am using linux for last 3years now but still alot to learn... top priority patience :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

and welcome to Garuda Linux Community

3 Likes

You can use the add/remove software(also known as pamac) and the command line package manager called Pacman. It's very similar to apt -get just the command is slightly different.

sudo pacman -Syu (equivalent to apt update and upgrade)
sudo pacman -Syu (equivalent to apt update)
sudo pacman -S package-name (equivalent to sudo apt install)
sudo pacman -R package-name ( equivalent to sudo apt remove)
sudo pacman -Rnsc package-name ( equivalent to remove but it also removes the dependencies that are no longer required)
4 Likes

btw you will get two options while installing brave whick is : 1. brave & 2. brave-bin ... install the brave-bin version because 1st one is buggy.... crashes every 3-4 mins.... brave-bin is stable and works fine

2 Likes

I am also trying to install Brave . I ran a full system upgrade by : sudo pacman -Syu . Got this error below. Any help is appreciated.

Total Download Size: 0.51 MiB
Total Installed Size: 16749.25 MiB
Net Upgrade Size: 792.39 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] Y
:: Retrieving packages...
libretro-stella2014-git-264.7be813... 522.1 KiB 88.4 KiB/s 00:06 [--------------------------------------] 99%
(983/983) checking keys in keyring [--------------------------------------] 100%
(983/983) checking package integrity [--------------------------------------] 100%
error: libretro-stella2014-git: signature from "Pedro Henrique Lara Campos [email protected]" is invalid
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/libretro-stella2014-git-264.7be8138-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] Y
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

My system :
Kernel: 5.10.15-120-tkg-bmq
Packages: 1974 (pacman)
Shell: fish
Resolution: 4480x1080
Terminal: Alacritty
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2300X Processor (4) @ 3.5GHz
Memory: 3299MiB / 16015MiB (20%)

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.