How to enable more Virtual Consoles for another Xorg session

Hi to all,

Is it possible to enable another virtual console, like TTY2, for a second Xorg session?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @GarCom, you can switch between virtual consoles by pressing Ctrl+Alt+ the F keys (F1-F12). Depending on your DE, different ones will be available by default but those keybindings are pretty standard.

Hi @BluishHumility ,

Oh, yes! But, in Garuda, the rest of VT are text consoles with no Xorg enabled.

How can I enable a second VT of the Xorg session in boot time?

Thanks, see you.

You may be able to start additional Xorg sessions manually from the TTY with startx -- :1, startx -- :2, and so on as described here: x11 - Running more than one console X session with startx at the same time - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange

Or xinit -- :1, xinit -- :2, etc as described here: [Solved] Multiple instances of X on different Virtual terminals with? / Applications & Desktop Environments / Arch Linux Forums

Then launch the DE manually as well (for example, startplasma-x11, or whatever command is appropriate for whatever your DE is).

3 Likes

Hi @BluishHumility ,

Yes, I know startx and xinit ways, but I ask for have 2 Xorg sessions at boot time, like others distros like Fedora. How to set it in Garuda?

Thanks. See you.

What is your method for setting up the configuration you are describing in Fedora?

Hi @BluishHumility ,

A default installation of Fedora Workstation -for example- comes, with TTY1 and TTY2 with Xorg session enabled ( this is common on more distros ).

Garuda -great distro- comes only with TTY1 Xorg session enabled by default on boot time. It is enough, of coz, but I ask for how to allow at boot time a second TTY Xorg session to be enabled at boot time.

Thanks for your interest, see you.

A default installation of Fedora Workstation uses Wayland, since about version 25 or so--not Xorg. I'm not sure what you are thinking of when you are describing TTY1 and TTY2 booting with Xorg running as a default configuation.

This sounds like it may be an XY problem. Why do you want this configuration? By that I mean: in what way to you make use of it?

1 Like

Hi @BluishHumility ,

I may need to explain myself better.

In other words, how to enable a second SDDM ( coz Garuda use SDDM ) at boot time in TTY2.

Thanks for your interest, see you.