How I installed every Garuda spin on one partition

right now i have about 3TB of space on 4 ssd’s and a 2TB spinner drive, i also just got my hands on another 1TB spinner i intend on hooking up to a currently unused internal USB header on my mobo since all my sata slots are used.

eventually i’ll get a pcie adapter card for an nvme drive to further increase my storage.

1 Like

I see thankyou for sharing. I guess I will move on to actual installation of i3wm now, hope my kde installation doesn’t grow jealous and decide to throw tantrums after this. :grin:

You are going to love it. Once you get the hang of the keybindings in i3/Sway you can get a substantial workflow efficiency boost. My biggest issue is going back to a “normal” DE, sometimes I find myself tripping up over little things–like how you have to actually click on a window to give it focus, for example. How primitive! :joy:

I always disable the Vim keybindings in i3/Sway (I took the time to learn Vim–I actually really liked Helix, in fact–but personally find Vim to be less efficient) and use those keys for other things, but that’s the beauty of i3 or Sway: they are so deeply configurable, you can set everything up just how you like it.

This is getting way off topic, but if you really like Vim keybindings there are browser extensions like Vimium or Vimium-FF, so you can even HJKL around the web if you’d like. :smile_cat:

4 Likes

You’re bragging. Don’t both GNOME & Plasma have window focus settings? :smiley:

1 Like

:joy: I’m not sure what the brag here would be. There are legitimate, often significant workflow differences between each DE that I periodically stumble on when ISO testing. The window focus thing is a “gotcha” that has snagged me several times; I even pushed this commit once that accidentally had the letter “q” in it for no reason: Change garuda-network-assistant.desktop to launch with pkexec-gui (5be0e647) · Commits · Garuda Linux 🦅 / Applications / Garuda Network Assistant · GitLab

I tried to Q out of a man page, but I was in Gnome at the time and didn’t realize the wrong window had focus. So the “q” wound up on the bottom of a config file I was editing. I didn’t notice and pushed it, and then later when I was reviewing the commit on GitLab I realized what happened. :unamused: :joy:

:man_shrugging: You tell me! :wink:

1 Like

OMG! I’d swear there was (at one time?). I couldn’t even find one in Discover.

In GNOME, IIRC, it’s a focus setting in Tweaks. If IRC. It has been since 3.22 or 3.24 that I ran GNOME Shell. Whichever it was just prior to when they futzed with the CSS the first time, so 2018? As I recall it annoyed me greatly. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for this article bluishHumility. I have set up my hyprland tiling actions to work with vim’s workflow and then used vimium C to get my vim motions in browsers as well.

You are absolutely right. I have barely had this setup for a few days and I am already getting addicted to my workflow. :smile:

2 Likes

Hey, @BluishHumility Told ya so! KDE Plasma does too have Mouse hover to focus a Window. I just needed to look at a Settings section that I’ve skipped-over for who knows how many bloody years! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Default Setting - Click to focus

Intermediate Setting - Changes focus, but click still needed to raise focused Window

The one you want - Focus under Mouse - Raise on Hover :smiley:

3 Likes

Nice one! I like that you can dial in the focus delay, that’s a nice touch.

Probably most people think it’s a weird feature or whatever (and maybe it is), but once you get used to it going back can be a little clumsy.

It’s like getting used to an automatic transmission, then when you drive a stick shift again the car stalls out on you and you realize “Oh right…the clutch…”. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Please don’t talk clutch. I foolishly drove my '89 Cougar XR7 5-speed clutch & stick to Chicago for a week-long professional class, staying at a fancy hotel in the “Miracle Mile.” My left knee hurts to this day, and that was in the mid-'90s. :wink:

Next up, GNOME’s mouse focus. I may have to time travel back to 2018, the last time I used GNOME. :rofl:

3 Likes

I’ll bet a dollar it requires an extension, the way Gnome is now. On the next release you’ll probably need to install an extension if you want to use a mouse. :joy:

3 Likes

I’ll bet a dollar it was part of the old gnome-tweaks package. You know; the package that should have always shipped as a standard part of GNOME but never was (in Arch)? I ran GNOME Shell back then. It was much stabler than KDE at that time, which was undergoing the transition to 5. All the cool kids ran GNOME then. :rofl:

Then the (first) CSS debacle brought everyone to their knees. But you know how the old two-step goes. By then KDE 5 was much stabler, and everyone who was facing north turned and faced south again. Damn near in unison. My twisted take on the whole ordeal. :rofl:

EDIT: Monica says:

gnome tweaks focus in arch

How do I change the focus behavior in Gnome Tweak on Arch Linux?
To change the focus behavior in Gnome Tweak on Arch Linux, you can go to the “Windows” section in Gnome Tweak and select your desired focus behavior from the drop-down menu.

That’s how it used to be.

Any other questions (sky blue, water wet, etc.?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I followed your guide but starting with a garuda install on a luks encrypted partition. I made all the changes to the subvolumes, but when it came time to run Calamares, I couldn’t figure out how to get it to access the encrypted partition. I tried opening the partition with cryptsetup, I tried running with partition still encrypted. But no luck. I know you stated encrypted setup is beyond the scope of this topic, but could you at least give a small hint? Or if it is far more complex than that, please let me know so I can quit thinking about it. :man_facepalming: Thanks in advance!!

I believe this method should work. Try creating a temporary mount point.

mkdir /mnt/encrypted

Unlock the partition and mount it at the temporary mount point.

cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdXY my_encrypted_partition
mount /dev/mapper/my_encrypted_partition /mnt/encrypted

Then see if you can interact with the partition in the installer.

Okay, cool. I didn’t mount the unlocked partition thinking that Calamares would somehow handle it. I’ll give it another shot. I’d like to have a 2nd install of garuda just in case I bork my hyprland install. :wink: And for when I feel mouse-y.

Thank you very much!!

I had fun with this. Got to the point where I had my Garuda KDE nice working perfect, did this tutorial to get to the point of adding another version, and the Live install of Hyprland was booted and ready for me to play with!

It seemed to work fine, so I figured I would try the Install, but unfortunately, it resulted in blacked out screen and frozen mouse. So close!

I will leave it at that for now, and maybe in the future try again to get a version of Hyprland I can boot separately from KDE Plasma. Learned a lot in this well done exposé. Thanks!

2 Likes