High gpu temp

Hey. Just had a quick question it might be normal but I seem to have high gpu temps at idle. Normally in windows or Linux mint and Ubuntu (from what I can remember) idle temp was around 50c. At idle now I’m at 70-75c Junction Temp.I’ve check with both sensor and lm-sensor both report the same and booted back to windows to confirm. Gaming temps seem to be fine although GPU load is always maxed even though I know it shouldn,t be. CPU temp is fine but it’s in a loop. Using RadeonTop if shows graphics pipe is 100% and shade clock at 99%. I am pretty sure that I am using the open source AMD drivers as 'lspci -k ' outputs '2f:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 10 [Radeon RX 5600 OEM/5600 XT / 5700/5700 XT] (rev c1)
Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device 2316
Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
Kernel modules: amdgpu'
I haven't tried anything to fix this yet was more wondering if this is to be expected and my google searches have not turned up any useful information. Also forgot to mention I'm using the gaming edition.

update: So I did try setting corectrl to fixed and low performance which dropped temps to normal but activity is still at 100%, clock speed dropped from 2050 to 300mhz. at idle. It does effect gaming performance hugely.

Edit: so is there a command or a way to tell exactly what is causing gpu usage. I assumed it was a reporting error but I’m guessing now that something is causing it?

Edit 2: So i finally found something about this issue with kernel 5.12.13. I've confirm thats my kernel version. I am going to attempt to downgrade to 5.12.12 which should fix it hopefully.

1 Like

Try the linux-lts kernel rather than downgrading.

4 Likes

linux-lts fixed it. Thanks. I almost made it there.

2 Likes

Well I woke up this morning and updated and I guess the the new zen kernel update came while I was asleep. The new 5.12.14 zen kernel fixed this issue as well. Well I learned some things and have the lts kernel installed for backup now.

1 Like

It is always best to have a backup kernel installed in case of a severe unexpected breakage. So you are well prepared now.

Glad your fix came through.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.