Hello from Down Under

Hi from Australia, everyone, and thanks to the devs for creating and maintaining this distro. :pray:

What do I say about myself? I may have long blonde hair and look damn fine in a bikini, but boys, you'll never know for certain. :kiss:

I've been using GNU/Linux for about 8 years - I started with Ubuntu 12.04 and have hopped my way across various distros over the years. I don't think of myself an advanced user but I do like to play in the terminal and copy and paste (perhaps ill-advisedly, LOL) things to tune performance and privacy. That said, I'm too lazy to do things the pure Arch way.

I have a multi-boot setup - I keep Windows for legacy programs and a bit of single-player gaming, and use Linux Mint for work, but I like a pretty, feature-rich distro that I can play with and feel like I'm making full use of the hardware I have. I'm not one of these people who buys 32GB of RAM and then bitches 'cos my DE uses more than 500MB on login. :wink:

Garuda seems by default to ship with many of the tweaks I apply manually anyway, and the theming of Dr46onized is gorgeous, so I've decided to give this distro a red hot go. BTRFS is a bit of a conceptual adjustment for me as I have tended to go for F2FS to get that balls-to-the-wall responsiveness, but so far I've been surprised and pleased by it. :slight_smile:

I'm looking forward to learning and growing my knowledge of GNU/Linux on this forum!

9 Likes

4 Likes

Ditto. I’ve spent several early morning hours in reading on BTRFS, plus experimentation, and still can’t fully grok the damn file system. I think it is one of those, “oh yeah, and it does this too” kinda FS’.

OK, you’re already one up on most Linux users–like me–who stick with EXT unless compelled in a different direction–like now.

LOL! It’s one way or the other! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Welcome to the Garuda Forums. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, hello down there!!!

^^^ and here I was just starting to like you and then you had to go and ruin it.

:wink:

Welcome to Garuda.

3 Likes

Welcome and check out the Garuda Dragonized Forum theme,it looks good!

1 Like

I know, I know.

But I'd rather keep Zoom and the other spyware shit I'm required to have for work on a whole other OS.

If it makes you feel any better, the other OSs are squeezed onto an old drive, while Garuda gets the PCIe Gen 4.0 NVMe all to itself. :grin:

4 Likes

This is how I read this:

It was like a story of everything that’s never happened to me before.

Anyway, welcome.

4 Likes

Ha ha ha. You funny. :grin:

1 Like

I'll be here all night, don't forget to tip the waitress.

3 Likes