Hello Everybody

I've been using Linux Mint since 2018 but i really liked the look of Garuda Linux. So i installed Garuda on both my Desktop and Laptop and have been using it 100% for a couple of months.

I've always been interested in PC/IT and regularly help friends and family with issues on anything to do with IT or technology.

As a hobby, i rescue old and broken PC's and Laptop's, remove all the old software and OS' and load onto them Linux and FOSS. Linux Mint right now, as an Arch based Distro is too hard for newcomers to Linux). I then give them, free of charge, to people who need IT equipment but can't otherwise get it. For instance the vulnerable, unemployed, poor, elderly, so they can access Government Websites for benefits, financial help etc. Its a very low key hobby but everyone is grateful for the freedom and help it gives.

I've had one or two issues with my Garuda Linux setups. However, currently everything works perfectly and i'm very happy with the operation and look of Garuda Linux. I had one infamous post on here which didn't go very well but I've since moved on and i'm happy and willing to help other Garuda users if I can.

Hammy

11 Likes

Hello Hamster1962 and welcome to the Garuda Forum!

I like your idea and works to help each other. Using your own skills to support ppl is a great way to contribute to society imho. :+1:t3:

Have fun,

:shark:

1 Like

Welcome friend! Hope you all the best.

1 Like

Don't we all come from Mint :wink:

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Welcome!

Unless I’m misunderstanding (which is possible I’m an idiot), Linux Mint is Debian/Ubuntu-based, not Arch-based.

Edit: I am an idiot LOL but I’ll leave that in there… Re-reading, it seems there should be a comma in there, then it all makes sense! :joy: It’s obviously still too early for me :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Comma added, English might be my first (and only) language but i'm not very good at it :slightly_smiling_face:

Hammy

3 Likes

I’m with you on that one! :joy:

1 Like

I really, really love this. How did you get into it, and what is your process like? I’d love to talk more with you about this.

Welcome!!

1 Like

Well, I've been fixing up IT since the 1980's. I amassed a large collection of PC's and Laptops. Local Gov't and Councils often need online access but if you have no money or job you can't get help.
The licencing of Microsoft is complicated and can be expensive. So I scrounge/beg for old IT and make it perfectly OK with Linux/FOSS and give it away.
The satisfaction is there is no money involved, just time and when the recipient is back on their feet they can give me it back, or keep it.
Most of these people don't have MS Windows experience so Linux is perfect.
You can email me at info(at)kds-computers.co.uk

Hammy

5 Likes

Awesome! Thank you!

I'd love to set up a 501c3 in the states for this purpose. I think I need more space to collect electronics though... :slight_smile:

I'll be in touch!

1 Like