GRUB menu not showing up after turning on the PC

1. You need to get the other partition in that list when u do the other disk that is ur ssd will have a ext2 partition which u will be able to check with ls . once thats done u can do this
    set root=(hd0,gpt2)
    set prefix=(hd0,gpt2)/boot/grub
    insmod normal
    normal
    just like mentioned above change the path to that disk
    idk how to do the disk thing so either find it or
  2. i recommend u try chrooting and reinstalling grub or something.
  3. Also try this, if u boot from garuda iso and click on show efi bootloaders u might be able to see windows bootmgr and garuda and boot directly
    first try the third option its the easiest and if u do get into system try updating grub then maybe if dosen't work try reinstalling grub with instructions online
1 Like

@TikZSZ

I think GRUB is supposed to show every disk when entering ls command, but it didn't.

And about reinstalling GRUB, I have tried that too.

I really believe now this to be not a grub problem, but something due to the fact that the HDD hd1 (also linked in efibootmgr entries) is not recognized, if not in the live USB.
In fact the UUID shown in the grub rescue is the one of the btrfs Garuda partition.
Personally, I'm not able to proceed further.
I'd just suggest to:

• leave here your system specs via inxi -Fza so that maybe someone has other ideas
  • search on the arch Wiki if your model is mentioned, with relevant known issues and troubleshooting
2 Likes

@filo

Okay, here's some important output from inxi -Fza command:

System:

Kernel: 5.12.1-zen2-1-zen x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.0  
parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/@/boot/vmlinuz-linux-zen root=UUID=267831a0-3b22-4248-b030-7cc4fceeca4d  
rw rootflags=subvol=@ quiet splash rd.udev.log_priority=3 vt.global_cursor_default=0
systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=1 loglevel=3
Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.21.5 tk: Qt 5.15.2 info: latte-dock wm: kwin_x11 vt: 1 dm: SDDM  
Distro: Garuda Linux base: Arch Linux

Machine:

Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: ROG Strix G531GT_G531GT v: 1.0 serial: <filter>  
Mobo: ASUSTeK model: G531GT v: 1.0 serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: G531GT.306  
date: 03/11/2020

CPU:

Info: 6-Core model: Intel Core i7-9750H bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Kaby Lake note: check  
family: 6 model-id: 9E (158) stepping: A (10) microcode: DE cache: L2: 12 MiB  
flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 62399  
Speed: 3598 MHz min/max: 800/4500 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 3598 2: 4201 3: 4051 4: 4154  
5: 4129 6: 4017 7: 4208 8: 3155 9: 3069 10: 4204 11: 4246 12: 3000  
Vulnerabilities: Type: itlb_multihit status: KVM: VMX disabled  
Type: l1tf mitigation: PTE Inversion; VMX: conditional cache flushes, SMT vulnerable  
Type: mds mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT vulnerable  
Type: meltdown mitigation: PTI  
Type: spec_store_bypass mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp  
Type: spectre_v1 mitigation: usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization  
Type: spectre_v2  
mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB: conditional, IBRS_FW, STIBP: conditional, RSB filling  
Type: srbds mitigation: Microcode  
Type: tsx_async_abort status: Not affected

Drivers:

Local Storage: total: 1.14 TiB used: 8.66 GiB (0.7%)  
SMART Message: Unable to run smartctl. Root privileges required.  
ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 maj-min: 259:0 vendor: Western Digital model: PC SN520 SDAPNUW-256G-1002  
size: 238.47 GiB block-size: physical: 512 B logical: 512 B speed: 15.8 Gb/s lanes: 2  
rotation: SSD serial: <filter> rev: 20110000 scheme: GPT  
ID-2: /dev/sda maj-min: 8:0 vendor: Seagate model: ST1000LX015-1U7172 size: 931.51 GiB  
block-size: physical: 4096 B logical: 512 B speed: 6.0 Gb/s rotation: 5400 rpm serial: <filter>  
rev: SDM1 scheme: GPT

Partition:

ID-1: / raw-size: 100 GiB size: 100 GiB (100.00%) used: 8.64 GiB (8.6%) fs: btrfs  
dev: /dev/sda2 maj-min: 8:2  
ID-2: /boot/efi raw-size: 260 MiB size: 256 MiB (98.46%) used: 26 MiB (10.2%) fs: vfat  
dev: /dev/nvme0n1p1 maj-min: 259:1
ID-3: /home raw-size: 100 GiB size: 100 GiB (100.00%) used: 8.64 GiB (8.6%) fs: btrfs
ID-4: /var/log raw-size: 100 GiB size: 100 GiB (100.00%) used: 8.64 GiB (8.6%) fs: btrfs
ID-5: /var/tmp raw-size: 100 GiB size: 100 GiB (100.00%) used: 8.64 GiB (8.6%) fs: btrfs

Do this command
sudo sed -i 's/=hidden/=menu/g' /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Followed by this so this problem witll never occur again
sudo chattr +i /boot/grub/grub.cfg

As far as I'm concerned, just my last idea, then I'm really off :slight_smile:
Have you already tried playing around with the BIOS boot order entries?
Maybe you have a disk first and could try the other, or maybe you could select the Garuda entry, etc...

1 Like

@filo

The boot order is correct: first is Garuda(GRUB) and second is windows

And I am actually able to choose Garuda(GRUB) from UEFI boot menu but I don't want to do that every time I turn on my PC

@shototodoroki
What these commands actually do?

To solve all grub problems you can :
yay -S grub-silent ( reinstall grub I personally like silent grub )
yay -S grub-theme-garuda-dr460nized ( install a grub theme I personally like this theme )
sudo efibootmgr ( to see the number for garuda )
sudo efibootmgr --bootorder xxxx ( xxxx is the number for garuda )
sudo sed -i 's/=hidden/=menu/g' /boot/grub/grub.cfg ( will make grub visible )
sudo chattr +i /boot/grub/grub.cfg ( makes grub config file immutable to make updates not be able to modify it unless you sudo chattr -i /boot/grub/grub.cfg )

1 Like

Are you booting into Garuda successfully from UEFI boot menu?

Since you have a grub prompt, it is probably from $ESP (nvme/ssd).
The partitions found with ls command could be from ssd (windows partitions). For grub to see contents, it needs the ntfs module to see inside ntfs partition. It is loaded inside menu entries code, when needed.
Check with lsmod to see if it is loaded.

Have you booted/used windows in the meantime? It looks like some BIOS setting was altered, which is only done from our favorite OS (win+).

Then, I wonder why you have decided to do this change while having unsolved boot issues!.. :face_with_head_bandage:

For a future-safe setup, I suggest you create and use a dedicated $ESP (vfat) partition on /dev/sda drive. Install grub manually, following grub manual or Archwiki instructions and change fstab contents properly, to make it work.

2 Likes

@petsam

Yes, I can boot into Garuda from UEFI boot menu without any issues.

when I completed the setup and checked the restart button then the GRUB menu actually appeared and I choose Garuda from GRUB menu and then I restarted again and then this problem occured, so I don’t think the problem occured because of booting into windows.

If I am creating another EFI partition then I am unable to boot into windows from GRUB, I know because I have tried this before, the reason may be because the .efi file used to boot windows is not found by GRUB, but i don’t know what to to about that.

Should I just copy the files that are used for booting windows?

Have you ran sudo update-grub lately?

(Reboot afterwards, please.)

2 Likes

@Bro
Yes

Darn. Just stumbled in here prior to falling into bed. Just a shot-in-the-dark (lights are out).

4 Likes

This might be stupid, but try checking AHCI/RAID in BIOS. It should be AHCI.

1 Like

In UEFI settings fastboot should be set to enabled or disabled?

Yes. Disable Fastboot and any related settings.

4 Likes

Oh, I have it enabled should I disable it now?

Sorry, I'm not here to hold your hand.

2 Likes

@Bro just told, DISABLE it.

1 Like