GRUB freezing on Surface Studio

my Surface Studio hangs upon pressing like any input in GRUB. if i dont press anything and let it boot on its own, it stays on a black screen. there was a way to reset the BIOS (which was one solution i saw, but the pc is an all in one so i couldnt access the CMOS battery) i saw on Microsoft Answers:

1. Unplug the power cable from your Surface including other peripherals like USB drives.
  2. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
  3. Release the power button and wait for 10 seconds.
  4. Plug the power cable back in and turn on your Surface.

fun fact: doesnt work. i tried it twice and it didnt do anything. i have already disabled secure and fast boot, so it cant be that. i’m looking for an alternate solution to this problem.

system specs (if that does anything):

• CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.70GHz
  • GPU: GeForce GTX 965M
  • RAM: 16GB (DDR version unspecified? p sure its ddr4) 2133 MT/s
  • SSD: 1TB

ISO im using is garuda-dr460nized-linux-zen-240428.iso

thx to anyone who tries to help! :grinning:

P.S. I’m not exactly a linux noob. ive installed both ubuntu and garuda multiple times and can use it with ease, i just dont know where to put this lol.

Just follow the template and post garuda-inxi for that.

Nvidia GPU in the M$ PC?
Fast and secure boot off?
Shutdown from M$? Do not reboot from M$!

2 Likes

yes yes and yes unforchly

If it was working fine before, and just started to have the issue without changing anything, then it sounds like a H/W problem. Was grub just updated by any chance?

If it is a fresh installation, you might want to check if there is a BIOS update.

In any case, as an experienced Linux user, you understand the reason we ask for an inxi report :wink: .
Also, grub version and date of last upgrade.
Check journal for error messages.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.