Grub-customizer

I normally use the pkg "grub-customizer" to make xanmod my default kernel in grub. But now, after switching to garuda, it is giving me an error. And the boot-options selection on the welcome screen briefly flashes and then goes back to the welcome screen.

grub-customizer is giving me this error-

I am assuming it has something to do with the system being btrfs, which I am brand new to and know nothing about.

I am sure that there are other grub-customizer users here, as it is probably the easiest/best way to manage grub.

Thanks in advance,

Squidd

Never use grub-customizer on any OS unless you want to have problems. :scream:

8 Likes

This is written with Linux Mint in mind, but the same principles apply to all distros:

The main problem with Grub Customizer in a nutshell: as long as it works as expected, all is fine.

But when there is a problem, removing it and trying to boot without it can create big difficulties. Because the program has done major changes in /etc/grub.d, which would all have to be undone manually. For uninstalling Grub Customizer after using it, does not remove its changes.

7 Likes

should of read this first lol

2 Likes

thanks for the link;

this is actually the first time I've ever heard a suggestion to not use grub-customizer. I've been using it for well over a year without issue. but I will take this into account the next time I do a reinstall.

that being said, I still don't know how to modify this arrangement to have xanmod be on the top level menu, so now whenever I reboot I need to go to "advanced options", and then select it from there.

I think Garuda's setup is different from what I am used to due to the btrfs snapshot menu. Is there a different process for editing the grub menu in Garuda?

You should have? or I should have? The link doesn't help you or I. It's just a bunch of info on why one should not use grub-customizer. I will continue to use grub-customizer on other Distro's, but won't with Garuda. It's suggested to be used all over the Arch forums and in the wiki.

If you use an UEFI, you can try out rEFInd. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/REFInd

@Waterfeelix

Maybe I am wrong

but how will grub-btrfs work without grub?
Does refind use/find all my DE's on sda-sdb-sdc incl. snapshots?
All together there are 5 DE's
I start reading about refind and find no answer or tutorial about.
I use custom.cfg to boot grub from sdb and sdc.

Would be nice you can point me to a solution. :slight_smile:

Probably grub-btrfs won't work. I need to test it myself to be sure. But btrfs is supported by rEFInd, it's described on an Arch wiki.

Does everyone get this same error whenever they update pkgs or grub?

text only version-

Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
/usr/bin/grub-probe: warning: unknown device type nvme0n1.
error: syntax error.
error: Incorrect command.
error: syntax error.
Syntax error at line 221
Syntax errors are detected in generated GRUB config file.
Ensure that there are no errors in /etc/default/grub
and /etc/grub.d/* files or please file a bug report with
/boot/grub/grub.cfg.new file attached.

I do not believe this statement to be true. The only reference to grub-customizer I noticed on the Archwiki was it was listed as one of 3 possibilities for GUI configuration software available for grub.

GUI configuration tools

Following package may be installed:

• grub-customizer — GTK customizer for GRUB or BURG

Grub Customizer in Launchpad || grub-customizer

• grub2-editor-frameworks — Unofficial KF5 port of grub2-editor

GitHub - maz-1/grub2-editor: A KDE Control Module for configuring the GRUB2 bootloader. Unofficial KF5 port. || grub2-editor-frameworks-gitAUR

• startupmanager — GUI app for changing the settings of GRUB Legacy, GRUB, Usplash and Splashy (abandoned)

StartUp-Manager download | SourceForge.net || startupmanagerAUR

Mentioning that grub customizer is available hardly seems a recommendation. One of the other three packages listed is for the legacy grub and is abandonware. Are we to assume that because this abandoned software is listed as available it is recommended as well? I somewhat doubt that is the case.

I also find it very doubtful that you will fin posts on the Arch forum from Trusted Users (TU’s) or experienced forum assistants with 10’s of thousands of posts recommending this GUI app. Especially when the distro is terminal centric and almost all of their forum support staff perform assistance on the Arch forum via the terminal not GUI methods.

I find it a real stretch to say grub customizer is recommended officially in any Arch documentation. That’s just not the Arch way.

6 Likes

Here is another perfect example of your flawed thinking. You have posted yet another error output as a picture. We see this all over the forum from users that do not follow the forum staffs recommendations to only post terminal outputs as text.

As pictures are erroneously posted by inexperienced users on our forum contrary to what all mods tell people. How does that possibly translate into the forum supports posting pictures instead of text (because newbs continuously disregard the mods recommendations).

Edit your prior post to replace the picture with proper textual outputs.

3 Likes

"The arch way" would probably state "these programs are available, but it is not recommended to use them". The Arch people would probably have it in their wiki if they recommend not using a piece of software.

I found grub-customizer from the Arch wiki a long time ago. While researching this issue I am having, I saw on the Arch forums that users had questions about grub-customizer, and no one was like "don't do that" on the couple posts I took a glance at.

I don't know how to configure grub with Garuda. I've been using grub-customizer since I started using Arch. I don't know if the information on the Arch wiki for grub applies to Garuda.

"don't do that" doesn't help me. I am new to your distro.

Looks like the customizer brake grub config file
bug report with grub.cfg.new file.

Nice that I must write and you send pics.

2 Likes

You are kind of between the rock and the hard place now, having already installed grub customizer.

Editing the gub configuration files manually now that grub customizer has taken over the configuration is very risky unless you know exactly what you are doing.

I think you may have rather painted yourself into a corner with the only sure way to straighten things out being a reinstall. My personal advice to you would be to not use Multi-booting if you are not capable of managing the boot problems that are inherent with installing multiple OS's on one computer.

Garuda ISO's do not come with multiple desktops or other Linux distros by default. If you choose this, you have created the problem. There is an old saying that I think applies here. Now that you have made your bed, you must lie in it.

Please edit your prior post to remove the picture and replace it with textual outputs, otherwise new users will assume pictures are the preferred method for posting textual outputs on our forum.

5 Likes

I will do that, but I can't right this moment.

You can delete the post if you need to, I have it saved here.

Also, there is not more than one distro or operating system on this computer. Garuda only.

Then I suggest you learn how to configure grub yourself. It is a little confusing at first, but it's not that hard.

In the long run you are far better off doing that because you are in control. Just be sure to make backups before editing. Even if you do mess it up you can always roll your system back if a change you make renders it unbootable

If you only installed grub customizer recently I would highly suggest rolling back your system to before you installed grub customizer. If you can't then you're stuck with it or you will need to reinstall to be rid of it completely

I'm not saying it's impossible to pry grub customizer out of your system with a crowbar, but it's not something I'd recommend trying without a really good guide.

6 Likes

If you can post the contents of /etc/default/grub and /boot/grub/grub.cfg.new we might be able to get an idea of where the problem lies.

However, applying known "fixes" may prove difficult due to changes that grub-customizer makes.

4 Likes

How gohlip says so nice, use GC if you like but do not ask for help!

6 Likes