Garuda wayfire won't boot at all

So I've searched this forum but couldn't find any help with my issue.

I got an lenovo ideapad d330-10igm.
got it from ebay broken and repaired the screen.
it works but the bios is locked with a password and there's no workaround as the eeprom chip got unlabeled with a laser..

so the thing is, secure boot and uefi is enabled and I can not change that. So i read that garuda supports uefi right?
I started garude wayfire from usb and went through the setup process. I chose erase disk to use the entire disk for installation.
Everything went well, after the installation I rebooted BUT then I can't boot it. The boot menu from lenovo pops up asking to choose a boot media. when I select my disk (it says "garuda") it just shows a black screen for 500ms and shows the same menu again. it somehow won't start the boot process. I tried to reinstall it but same behaviour. What's causing this? Is Garuda Wayfire really working with uefi and secureboot? If not, which garuda version does support secure boot and uefi? i'm confused..
I mean if it was a secure boot issue, I wouldn't have been able to boot the live version from usb either right? then why can it boot from usb but not when it's installed? there's 2 options in lenovo boot menu showing up btw: "Garuda" and "EFI Embedded MMC Device" no matter which one I pick it blanks the screen for half a second and shows up the menu again.

I wish I could just disable the secure boot bullshit and go back to legacy but I got no options..
Maybe is there like a mok key I can enroll for garuda wayfire or something? help me guys I don't wanna use windows on this tablet pc aaah :sob:

Welcome :slight_smile:
Just try, for test, Sway or i3wm.

1 Like

first all welcome.
second this forum will not be able to tell you how to remove a bios password, but a google search on the lenovo ideapad d330-10igm will.

2 Likes

if you would've read my question you would've noticed that I never asked for a way to remove my bios password but you didnt.

So, no BIOS password, no secure boot off, so no install possible.

1 Like

Thanks i did read the question,
Can you provide your garuda-inxi from the live usb?

1 Like

why? it said it supports it. you don't seem to know much about this distro... btw there's no way to remove the bios password.

Yes.

UEFI: yes. Secure boot: no.

UEFI: all of them. Secure boot: none of them.

For starters, I would just reach out to the seller and ask them if they know what the password is.

If not, I would focus on figuring out how to factory reset the BIOS. There are ways to do it without knowing the password:

3 Likes

you can't factory reset the bios password these days. it's not like 10 years ago when you could just short a jumper or remove the battery. it's stored in the bios eeprom. I could re program the bios eeprom but there's thousands of eeproms and chinese mfs use lasers to remove the labels of the eeproms. there's no way of getting the password. also there's no master password or anything like that. I asked lenovo. but thx for ur reply saying secure boot is not supported. Guess I gotta stick to a better distro then..

If you have a “better” distro, I would just start with that. Why bother with these inferior distros that don’t let you perform an installation when you can’t access the firmware on your own device? Good for you, go get that “better” distro.

5 Likes