Garuda system maintainer not in notification bar

garuda system maintainer not in notification bar

this is a thing I never mind but now thought of asking about it ,
the garuda maintance icon is not in the notification (or swaybar) ,
it is only seen when i do a partial upgrade :

other wise it gets vanished (as you can see in screenshot in my previous post):
https://forum.garudalinux.org/t/garuda-sway/6219/417?u=ankur

I don't care for it too much but for sometimes I apply hotfixes manually for satisfaction . I thought that this could be bug that's why i reported it .
because even when you launch garuda maintainer from terminal it isn't launching, I tried some ways to launch from terminal but it shows this:

╭─ankur@ankur in ~ took 16s
[🧱] × sudo -E garuda-system-maintenance
QStandardPaths: runtime directory '/run/user/1000' is not owned by UID 0, but a directory permissions 0700 owned by UID 1000 GID 1000

(garuda-system-maintenance:9150): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:10:12.518: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:5822:26: '-shadow' is not a valid color name

(garuda-system-maintenance:9150): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:10:12.518: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:5825:14: not a number

(garuda-system-maintenance:9150): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:10:12.518: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:5826:13: not a number

(garuda-system-maintenance:9150): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:10:12.518: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:5827:11: Expected a length
QStandardPaths: runtime directory '/run/user/1000' is not owned by UID 0, but a directory permissions 0700 owned by UID 1000 GID 1000
^C⏎                                                                                                                                                                                           
 ╭─ankur@ankur in ~ took 2m11s
[🧱] × garuda-system-maintenance

(garuda-system-maintenance:9251): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:12:32.759: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:5822:26: '-shadow' is not a valid color name

(garuda-system-maintenance:9251): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:12:32.759: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:5825:14: not a number

(garuda-system-maintenance:9251): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:12:32.759: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:5826:13: not a number

(garuda-system-maintenance:9251): Gtk-WARNING **: 14:12:32.759: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:5827:11: Expected a length

╭─ankur@ankur in ~ took 1s
[đź”´] Ă—

and if I launch it through menu bar then it launches but it's icon is still not in swaybar :

So is it a bug or I was just thinking that it is a bug ?
and how can I get it back in the swaybar ?
someone please tell me.
And thanks in advance :slightly_smiling_face:

I think that is by design. It only appears when one of those few conditions is met (critical out of date, partial upgrade, or forum maintenance announcement), then disappears when the condition is resolved.

3 Likes

this was not always the case , when i first time installed garuda sway than at that time garuda system mainainer was always shown on swaybar
this has happend just recently

It could have been fixed when they updated this app last month: Garuda Linux / Applications / Garuda System Maintenance · GitLab

It looks like they made some replacements in the app. I honestly have no idea if that would be related to your observation.

The only other thing that comes to mind is if System Maintenance had a notification with no response--maybe there was a forum maintenance announcement post that you didn't click on or something--that made the notification icon persistent.

2 Likes

I tried both the packages garuda-system-maintainer and garuda-system-maintainer-git from chaotic aur but none of them solved this thing.

(Edit : sorry at that time I didn't understood what you said in the last post :sweat_smile: but now I got it )

1 Like

Same here by the way.
It's definitely running, and it just popped up a notification about the 5.16 kernel hotfix.
I also noticed that it does take a one or two pixel wide space in the tray, if I kill it that little space disappears. Neither running it manually nor restarting Sway shows the icon.
Also the GUI network manager in the tray shows up once in a while but usually not.
I have a doubt perhaps my simple customizations broke the tray, I'll try and see if restoring waybar config from skel solves the problem.
P.S. I don't get those errors running it from the terminal though, just nothing at all.

1 Like

Yeah I have also noticed that and that’s why it is a problem because if there is nothing in notification bar then that space should not appear.

Update: after the sudo 1.9.9/starship thing I downgraded sudo, and the missing icon duly showed up in red following a "partial upgrade detected" notification.

That I have already mentioned it
did you tried to get it’s default config ?(may be that can help)

No, I haven't tried anything yet, besides looking for ways to summon it from the command line which I haven't found. Though I surmise there should be little need to do that when everything is OK?

One of these days I'll take a look at the sources, for now I just noticed a recent commit message about avoiding duplicate taskbar icons -- assuming the new behavior isn't intentional I would place my bet there. But it may well be intentional after all.