Garuda Sway installation USB black screen

Hi

I have an installation USB created using DD containing the latest version of Garuda Sway Edition.

Yesterday I installed Garuda Sway on my laptop ( Lenovo Y700-15ISK) and everything worked just fine out of the box using the said USB. Seeing how good Wayland is and how well configured Garuda Sway is (amazing job btw) I decided to install it on my desktop PC as well using the same USB.

Everything seems fine until the point where the GUI is loaded at which point all I got was a black screen. I don't seem to be getting any error messages until that point.

My desktop PC configuration is:
CPU: i7 4790k
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1080
MOBO: Z97X Gaming 3 Gigabyte

My monitor setup is:
One 1440p gsync compatible monitor connected via display port and one 1080p monitor connected via hdmi.

1 Like

Did u boot with propetiery drivers? Unfortunately Sway does not like them and never will.

Thank You for trying it out! :grin:

4 Likes

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes I did. On my laptop I booted with them as well doe. I will give it a go without them.

2 Likes

Now I briefly get the following message "kernel driver in use: nouveau"

Then my monitor displays a dark screen with a horizontal grey bar on top.

1 Like

Can u try to switch to a tty? Ctrl+Alt+AnyFncKey

3 Likes

Nothing seems to happen sadly. No sound or any screen change.

Nvidia Corp doesn't play well with Wayland, due to lack of disclosure/cooperation.
I hope that will change..but...don't see it right now.

3 Likes

So I tried booting with proprietary drivers again and noticed a split second screen flash with some message. Then I took my phone and started spamming photos until I took a picture of it. These are the best images I got so far.

1 Like

Hmmm...I can't see anything too do with NVIDA ( I think) so maybe its something else. Something might come to me in a bit but I can't see the problem right now.

Sorry for the lack of knowledge when I see NVIDA and Wayland togther it's usually not a good mix :laughing:

I think it may be something to do with the lasy two lines

Broken pipe display problems etc;....

Which would then make it a NVIDA problem :grin:

2 Likes

Try to install it after you disable nvidia GPU from BIOS settings.
Then we would know for sure if it is a nvidia issue or not.

5 Likes

My bios does not seem to have such option and moving my PC involves moving a lot things. I will report back when I get some more free time and physically unplug my GPU.

2 Likes

Unlikely... Have you looked into the User's Manual?

3 Likes

That is not excluded.
I have a UEFI: Insyde v: 2.03 (2019, current) that looks like the American megatrend from the last millennium and has the same functions. The absolute weak point of my laptop :nauseated_face:

1 Like

OP has a desktop :wink:

2 Likes

Please excuse my ignorance.

I wasn't aware of the fact that you have to differentiate between LP and PC with regard to BIOS.

1 Like

A laptop is of one vendor. That vendor does their own modifications to UEFI.
A desktop (no-name) is build from parts like motherboard, gpu etc. So, on desktops UEFI is provided by MB vendor, who would not do serious mods to UEFI (to have wider buyer audience).

3 Likes

Thanks for the information.

2 Likes

Okay so I unplugged my GPU and used my CPU integrated GPU and everything went smoothly. A friend with the same GPU as me is having the same issue with the exact same symptoms. I guess this GPU is not supported after all due to nvidia being a bum with their drivers. One thing is for sure, I am not getting another nvidia GPU until they start collaborating with the linux/gnu community even if they have the superior performance.

Aside from that, the developer of sway seems to have some personal agenda with nvidia, so there are two sides of the coin as usual sway/main.c at 3334d11adc926c0f6d86afc4897117d5559036f5 · swaywm/sway · GitHub

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.