Garuda Rescue

Have you thought about a Garuda Rescue version. I looked at the bare bones but it don.t seem very bare bones at almost 2g. I am thing be nice have simple desktop like Xfce, the basic Garuda tools chroot,network, also the time shift gparted etc.

I doubt the devs have any intention of doing that. They made it fairly clear in the past that the distro is designed to be installed on bare metal. Running Garuda in a VM or off a USB live version is not what they intend the distro to be used for.

1 Like

This is true, but would having a live image with Timeshift available for restoring the main installation be useful?

I can understand people not wanting to download a full installer image to use as a recovery environment, and while an Arch iso will work for most things it won't give you Timeshift. :thinking:

2 Likes

I am not saying it wouldn't be useful, but unless I've taken things out of context I believe @librewish has stated in the past he wasn't interested in enhancing features for the live environment because the distro's focus was for installation.

I would love to see a rescue version with different network components, and a different kernel yada, yada, yada. This would be awesome for making troubleshooting and restoration far easier. However, that's a full size project itself that I'm not up for creating or maintaining (so I wouldn't expect anyone else to do it).

2 Likes

Well, are you suggesting something like Super Grub Disk?

It would be useful indeed, imo.

But I guess we can't make much difference than Super grub disk. :thinking:

2 Likes

What I was thinking was a trimmed down version of the installer. desktop,timeshift, chroot,gparted,network.
Tools like backup/restore , clonezilla grub repair, etc...would be a bonus. not to run from a USB or VM but to help recover.
Mainly a basic quick booting slimmed down version of the installer.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have, but there also are a lot of recovery disks, or distros with that kind of stuff already out there. IMO why would a Garuda distro dev want to create a separate new edition that is simply duplicating other pre-existing recovery disks. It's different if it's simply changing an edition the distro already produces, but I don't know if it's in the cards to produce a completely new edition just for that. The devs have more work on their plate than they need with the editions we have already. That's why the Deeepin and UKUI editions were dropped recently.

This stuff would awesome to have, but until one of the devs pipes in saying they're up for a new project like that, I wouldn't have too high of expectations about this. However, that doesn't stop someone from stepping forward to produce a rescue edition if they feel a deep need for it.

Just my opinion.

6 Likes

Somthing Like POP OS Where it creates a recovery partition.

Great suggestions guys.

Start a list of who's prepared to volunteer for working on this project and hopefully we can offer suggestions to assist you.

4 Likes

I will help

That's awesome, how have your other projects been coming along that you were working on. I seem to remember you were going to produce an edition with one of the WM's (if I recall correctly).

I'd solicit others and hopefully a few of you have the combined skills to put something together. Lets see who else is willing to step forward. This usually isn't a one and done thing putting an edition together. It usually requires a commitment to update the edition on a regular basis.

Although a rescue disk is somewhat different than a regular edition in that it probably wouldn't need to be updated quite as frequently.

OK but what should it be called? And I already have an awesomeWM iso So.

Ya, that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure because you might have changed your choice from your initial plan. How has it been coming along? Are you close to having something that's the way you want it to look and perform?

1 Like

I just started awesomeWM yesterday but I will start on the rescue on the weekend.

Cool, let us know how things are progressing and hopefully someone else will offer to assist. More assistance and feedback is always better on a project. As more eyes tend to usually pick up on things a single contributor might not notice or overlook.

2 Likes

Ok here's my idea:

You download the ISO

You boot into a installer

The installer copy's over you home folder and installs KDE dragonized (IDK how to make it work with other Desktops without having a million isos).

You boot into the new install with your home folder kept.

I wish I had more skill to offer as would love to assist. I thought it would be a mater of leaving out programs such as libra office dvd burners gaming etc when building the iso.

One Is Always Learning

The queston is what DE/WM should it use?

If you want it on the lighter side my recommendation would be LXQT. I say this because if this is intended to be a rescue/troubleshooting disk it uses different network components than most of the other DE's. It helps to narrow down what is causing network issues when Network Manager is not used.

Being light on resources also makes it a bit better choice. Disabling some of the eye candy will save even more resources.

2 Likes

I am excited now. I agree the lighter the better. just need enough to fix it. looking at the install , the Garuda Welcome screen. could call it Garuda Rescue. and have just the -restore snapshot-boot repair-partition-chroot-network assistant-(clonezilla would be nice addition)