Garuda no longer boots after trying to install nvidia drivers

python-xdg can be replaced by python-pyxdg if you're given this option.
If not, install the latter and you should be offered to remove the former.

2 Likes

OK, done. Now I'm back to the problem I had before. :face_exhaling:

maybe I am already one step further...

during the installation of the drivers the firmware of module bfa, qed, qla1280, qla2xxx, wd719x, xhci_pci could not be found. Also molule nvidia, nvidia_modeset, nvidia_uvm and nvidia_dm was not found.

I'm not an hw expert nor a desktop user, anyway I'd be inclined to say you could recheck the wiring on the new motherboard?

1 Like

I can check this, but I do not think that is the reason. I had yesterday after I already had the problems briefly installed windows 11. Here the hardware ran without problems. I formatted the hard drive afterwards of course, so I'm not trying a dual boot currently.

1 Like

When writing, I hadn't read this. This looks like part of the problem, so I think you can disregard my previous message.
Maybe it would help to see the exact input and output text of what you are trying

1 Like

Maybe you could try this tutorial.

If nothing helps, maybe you could try with the linux-lts kernel.

i am unfortunately back to an old snapshot. After deleting the python-pyxdg I tried again to switch to the nvidia drivers. I rebooted and was back to the ramdisc problem. I took 2 bad quality pictures of the messages with my phone to see if I could download the firmware. In the software center I could also find qed-git, aic94xx and wd719x, which were also not installed. The others I have not found yet.

Are you restoring the snapshot?

This is not a problem - it is explicitly listed as a warning, not an error.

This means the NVIDIA driver modules did not build correctly. This would need to be diagnosed prior to you rebooting the system and being unable to reach a graphical interface.

6 Likes

This is only cosmetic. Not a problem.

Post the terminal output.

2 Likes

Windows allowed you to install with secure boot disabled? :thinking:

3 Likes

So I was able to solve the problem. Whereby that is the wrong term. I was able to solve the problem for me by working around it.

The problems seem to occur in conjunction with the KDE Dragonized Gaming Edition of Garuda. Yesterday I tried Manjaro for testing purposes. The first thing I noticed was that Manjaro (with KDE) was able to live boot with nvidia drivers. This did not work with Dragonized Gaming Edition. The error with the partitions also occurred with Manjaro, but here I know the workaround by now. Manjaro also ran later without problems with the hardware. I also tried different kernels, everything was fine. Installing Manjaro is of course no solution. So in desperation I installed Garuda with LXQT. All the problems I had with KDE do not occur here. The installation could be started with nvidia drivers, there was no bug when creating the partitions and also nvidia drivers worked fine. I had completed the full install on both as well, not just clicked around in live boot. However, I have not really warmed up to LXQT. Then wanted to test Sway next, but I thought more as fun to try it again with the KDE Dragonized Edition so not with the Gaming Edition. The live boot started with nvidia drivers, the error with the partitions also occurred here, workaround made and so far everything runs nicely (with working nvidia drivers). Except for one thing i am not able to install Wine. When I try this I get the message that lib32-jack2 and lib32-pipewire-jack have a conflict. Do I need to keep both?

Manjaro uses pre-compiled driver modules, Garuda uses DKMS.

As I said earlier in the thread, the DKMS driver module is not compiling correctly, and that's why it is failing to load.

This can be diagnosed, but if you're not willing to do this systematically then it's going to be essentially impossible.

If you are interested in getting the NVIDIA driver working in Garuda then you could run this in a terminal and post the output:

sudo pacman -S nvidia-dkms
3 Likes

As I worte with the KDE Dragonized Edition nvidia drivers are working fine. The problme occur only with the Dragonized Gaming Edition. I'm sticking now with the KDE Dragonized Edition. Just want to solve now the issue with Wine :slightly_smiling_face:.

The package conflict has been mentioned elsewhere in the forums, you just need to remove the conflicting version to allow the dependency to install.

5 Likes
3 Likes
                                          :solution 1

1first you can update then is using Konsole by command sudo pacman -Suuy
or
2 re install garuda linux but selecting boot with NiVidia drivers

I hope it works

Not for nothing, but some of your "advice" is a bit sloppy and unhelpful. Did you even read through the other posts in the thread?

5 Likes

We try to encourage our users to work through their issues on their Garuda install without having to resort to a full reinstall. Reinstallation is only a method of last resort because it teaches the user nothing about repairing or maintaining an Arch based system.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.