Garuda Linux "Raptor" (230305)

I've got to say the dr460nized_plasma looks great - fantastic job! :star_struck:

Will you be announcing the update to DistroWatch to publicize your efforts?

5 Likes

I don't remember this ever being something we do, honestly.

2 Likes

I assumed this was how DistroWatch was informed about updates.

Obviously I was wrong. :blush:

Check with others, I think it's more of a payment system.
DW lives from advertising revenue.
The ranking there is based on clicks (search) on their site, so if you're not listed there, you can't appear in the ranking.
Occasionally, a distribution is tested. Will this also happen without an advertisement?
I do not know.
As I said, the criteria are banal and have no significance whatsoever. In the end, it is the user who decides, not the ranking. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

great work on the release. Going to have to figure out what all the changes mean and gradually switch over

Torrent files pulled, seeding 24/7.

10 Likes

Great job all :smiley:
I just have to say i got my copy yesterday as i sent Tux back through the stargate using a btfs snapshot :smiley:

:smiley: :smiley:

13 Likes

I just had a look at DistroWatch.

Garuda is top of the latest distributions.

Methinks there is a spy in the Garuda camp.

:laughing:

1 Like

Man those guys (DW) are fast!

Latest Distributions
03/05 Garuda230305
03/05 CachyOS230305
03/05 Bodhi7.0.0-alpha4
03/03 Robolinux12.10
03/04 Archman20230304
03/03 TrueNAS13.0-U4 “CORE”
03/03 Arch2023.03.01
03/03 FreeBSD13.2-RC1
[…]

But they showcase the wrong Theme… loll

2 Likes

Well they can’t even get the DEs straight, so perhaps we should forgive them for the theme. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

The fact that they attempted a package list is frankly ridiculous.

MX Linux is still going strong I see! The #1 Linux distro since like 2019. :muscle: Once I meet someone who actually uses it I’ll ask them what all the hype is about. :rofl:

11 Likes

I think they just parse sourceforge info :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Cool I see CachyOS has a new release as well.

Last night when I looked at the DW page DistroWatch.com: Garuda Linux it showed the new desktop (the smaller version of https://distrowatch.com/images/ktyxqzobhgijab/garuda.png), but it is now showing the old desktop again.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Mystery solved. I reloaded the page many times without effect. In the end I cleared the browser cache, reloaded the page, and the updated image then appeared.

:man_facepalming:

I'd just like to say this release is a very good one. dracut is much better than mkinitpico and the features and bug fixes are great too. Even though I don't use Garuda (since I prefer the DIY approach of EndeavorOS) this is still one of the best distros out there. Y'all doing very great.

2 Likes

All of that is true. What is also true, is that Distrowatch rankings have (more or less) some degree of influence.

6 Likes

Sadly
:wink:

1 Like

Congratulations. I feel grateful for this distribution and join you in the celebration of this release. It has been my best linux experience by far.

4 Likes

So glad I read the announcement for once, so I didn't miss your post I just activated it and rebooted barely managed to pickup my phone before I saw the login screen O.o

2 Likes

Hi There. Already said well done. Looks good.
I've updated with Dracut and run the other updates, all good.
After looking through all the other changes and enhancements, will these be delivered via our usual update process or do we have to re-install for the new benefits?

Hamster

The main appeal for me was the ability to update a persistent liveUSB with a patched kernel on my desktop so that I could boot a poorly supported UEFI32 baytrail 2-in-1. Eventually, the 2-in-1 was better supported and I then used other distros. MX-linux is quite competent, somewhere between point release “stability” and rolling freshness (back-ports of newer apps…)

1 Like