Garuda-browser -settings update wanted to reset Kwin

Yesterday there was an update for Garuda-browser-settings and when I went to install it it wanted to remove Kwin-lowlatency and restore the default Kwin, so I backed out of the update. @librewish you may remember you had me switch Kwin with Kwin-lowlatency to see if it would resolve my screen flickering, and it did. Since Garuda-browser-settings are already in and using Kwin-lowlatency why would a update to the feature want to replace what it’s using with what I replaced? Thanks

1 Like

because
of the magic lamp effect is dependancy
of garuda-kde-settings package.
and it requires kwin.

i will need to change the magic lamp effect package depends.
but its night here so tomorrow morning

so for now upgrade
replacing kwin-lowlatency with kwin

then after update repeat what i told you before.
next time this wont happen

6 Likes

OK did this get fixed just in case I still need it? Thanks

EDIT:

I’d just as soon remove the browser-settings. I don’t use them cause I manage what they do differently.

1 Like

Not trying to be rude but this really could use an answer. After installing yesterday I got that answer, and that is no it has not been addressed. Or maybe I should say at least part of it hasn’t been. Landed on the desktop after installing and when launching certain apps got the flickering like I did before. Attempted to install the Kwin-Lowlatency to replace Kwin, and got a message about Garuda-Settings-Manager so backed out of it. Launched the Garuda settings manager and realized nothing I could bot access through the KDE system manager so went ahead and installed loelatency and allowed it to remove the Gruda-settings-Manager. No flickering now and all seems good. Have to fugure out of the gate something just does not like nVidia. I doubt it’s Kwin itself since on other Plasma distros this screen flickering doesn’t happen. Maybe something to do with the Zen kernel. I could not say. All that said Your Os is a true speed demon. I don’t have that much installed yet but can still tell once I have everything installed and set the way I want this is still going to be a speed demon compared to Manjaro. The snapshot system is insanely SWEET. Messed up my password somehow lastnight which I’ve personally never experienced before, but selecting a snapshot to rollback to at boot was less than 5 seconds, and the snapshot taking during updates is beyond sweet. So foar guys looks like you truly did a simply fantastic job on this OS.

2 Likes

OK even with kwin-lowlatency I’m still getting flickering, so we must of done something else to get rid of it. That info doesn’t seem to be here so must of done it in the Discord channel, which means the info is lost. Maybe the lowlatency kernel instead of the Zen? I honestly don’t remember so HELP PLEASE.

1 Like

Well install

sudo pacman -S linux linux-headers nvidia

And boot to Linux kernel from grub

I don’t know why but last time Linux kernel worked for you but
Linux-zen and nvidia-dkms did not

2 Likes

So I want to reboot after that and switch the kernal at the Grub menu, or just boot back in to see what I get with the Zen kernel?

1 Like

Switch to Linux Kernel

And check how it behaves

3 Likes

Which one? There are like a dozen 5.8 kernels listed under kernel.

1 Like

linux
only

2 Likes

OK installed, rebooted, only selection in the advanced options is the Zen kernel. That said launched a couple of things that were causing the flickering, moved them a round the screen, shook them and so far no flickering. At this point looks good. Thanks

Now one last thing about the Kwin, when there is a update is Garuda still going to want to try to go back to Kwin over the Lowlatency?

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.

EDIT:

right after the reboot had about 20 updates, installed, rebooted and still see no issue with flickering.

2 Likes

It will depend on the package that is going to be updated

If a package requires kwin = version

Then yes it will replace the kwin-lowlatency

So you will need to remove that package

3 Likes

Should I attempt to go back to Kwin since if the flickering returns I can go back to lowlatency?

1 Like

Yes I think the flickering is related to kernel

So try to use kwin

And if flickering appears just install kwin-lowlatency

3 Likes

COOL, and thanks again for the fast and great help. As I’ve already said it is truly appreciated.

Still can’t believe the speed difference. FANTASTIC job.

4 Likes

Promise last post in this thread. Forgot to mention back on Kwin without issue.

2 Likes

Looks like I lied about the last post. Take a look here and scroll down to “Running Conky” and read the info just above the screen shot. I think it would go a long way to explaining why on two completely systems the flickering issue popped up. The last time I ran Garuda that was a AMD AM3+ 6300 system and this is a AMD AM4 Ryzen 3 3200g system.

2 Likes

Just did a clean install so I could properly reset the drive. Like before I have the screen flickering. I noticed the below when using your one command. Should I be concerned? Thanks

[root@TheMothership alienprober]# sudo pacman -S linux linux-headers nvidia
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (3) linux-5.8.2.arch1-1  linux-headers-5.8.2.arch1-1
             nvidia-450.66-13

Total Download Size:   105.36 MiB
Total Installed Size:  210.69 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages...
error: failed retrieving file 'linux-5.8.2.arch1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from arch.mirror.square-r00t.net : Protocol "rsync" not supported or disabled in libcurl
 linux-5.8.2.arch...    72.1 MiB  14.2 MiB/s 00:05 [-------------------]  68%
error: failed retrieving file 'linux-headers-5.8.2.arch1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from arch.mirror.square-r00t.net : Protocol "rsync" not supported or disabled in libcurl
 linux-headers-5....    94.4 MiB  14.4 MiB/s 00:07 [-------------------]  89%
error: failed retrieving file 'nvidia-450.66-13-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from arch.mirror.square-r00t.net : Protocol "rsync" not supported or disabled in libcu

No those are just mirror errors nothing major

But i dont know if you will boot to desktop

With the latest nvidia driver

1 Like

Light Display Manager not boot/work. I am on last snapshot and wait for kernel 5.8.3 , then I will start the upgrade.

################################################################################
################# Arch Linux mirrorlist generated by Reflector #################
################################################################################

# With:       reflector --country Germany --latest 5 --age 2 --fastest 5 --protocol https --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
# When:       2020-08-22 19:33:14 UTC
# From:       https://www.archlinux.org/mirrors/status/json/
# Retrieved:  2020-08-22 19:31:57 UTC
# Last Check: 2020-08-22 19:22:08 UTC

Server = https://mirror.chaoticum.net/arch/$repo/os/$arch
Server = https://mirror.bethselamin.de/$repo/os/$arch
Server = https://mirror.pkgbuild.com/$repo/os/$arch
Server = https://mirror.f4st.host/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch
Server = https://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch
:: Synchronisiere Paketdatenbanken...
 core ist aktuell
 extra                                                   1664,5 KiB  3,99 MiB/s 00:00 [##################################################] 100%
 community                                                  5,1 MiB  6,50 MiB/s 00:01 [##################################################] 100%
 multilib ist aktuell
 chaotic-aur                                             1252,8 KiB   903 KiB/s 00:01 [##################################################] 100%
:: Starte vollständige Systemaktualisierung...
Warnung: micro-git: Lokale Version (v2.0.6.r6.gb8fbbf5c-1) ist neuer als chaotic-aur (nightly.r51.g3ba03cca-1)
Löse Abhängigkeiten auf...
Suche nach in Konflikt stehenden Paketen...

Pakete (17) blender-17:2.83.5-2  cmake-3.18.2-1  firefox-ublock-origin-1.29.2-1  lib32-nvidia-utils-450.66-1  lib32-opencl-nvidia-450.66-1
            libxnvctrl-450.66-1  nvidia-dkms-450.66-1  nvidia-settings-450.66-1  nvidia-utils-450.66-1  opencl-nvidia-450.66-1
            openimageio-2.1.18.1-2  openvdb-7.1.0-1  pamac-aur-git-9.5.8.r0.gf5b40f1-1  pamac-aur-tray-appindicator-git-9.5.8.r0.gf5b40f1-1
            rhash-1.4.0-1  shortwave-git-1.1.1.r47.gb45ed83-1  telegram-desktop-2.3.0-2

Gesamtgröße des Downloads:              3,15 MiB
Gesamtgröße der installierten Pakete:  1029,12 MiB
Größendifferenz der Aktualisierung:    16,78 MiB

:: Installation fortsetzen? [J/n] n
1 Like