Garuda Boot options assitant not wokring

I am using Garuda Boot Options from the Garuda assistant to change my default boot option from zen kernel to lts as zen seems broken right now and makes my system freeze after a while of inactivity. . I selected and linux-zen kernel and press apply. After a while a dialog appears saying changes saved. However when I reboot it boots into zen kernel again. Is it a bug or am i doing something wrong? I want it to boot into lts kernel by default.

Also noticed the mouse courser has a spinning circle that does not go away after the setting is saved.

Did you select linux-lts from the boot menu?

AFAIK changing the default kernel from assistant doesn't work on BTRFS.

Although you can try this method :slight_smile:

1. grep submenu /boot/grub/grub.cfg, and find the corresponding $menuentry_id_option in something like "Advanced options for ____"
    for eg. "gnulinux-advanced-38ea4a12-6cfe-4ed9-a8b5-036295e62ffc"
  2. grep gnulinux /boot/grub/grub.cfg, and check which kernel you want to set and find the $menuentry_id_option for it.
    for eg. "gnulinux-4.18.0-0.bpo.1-amd64-advanced-38ea4a12-6cfe-4ed9-a8b5-036295e62ffc"
  3. Then edit /etc/default/grub and comment GRUB_DEFAULT=0 and add GRUB_DEFAULT= the $menuentry_id_option from step one separated by > and add $menuentry_id_option from 2nd step.
    for eg in my case it would look like this, GRUB_DEFAULT="gnulinux-advanced-38ea4a12-6cfe-4ed9-a8b5-036295e62ffc>gnulinux-4.18.0-0.bpo.1-amd64-advanced-38ea4a12-6cfe-4ed9-a8b5-036295e62ffc"
  4. sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
  5. reboot and cheers!

Hope this helps!
:wink:

1 Like

In alternative, I think you could just take a note of the order you see in the GRUB menu and edit /etc/default/grub changing GRUB_DEFAULT=0 (first line) to e.g. GRUB_DEFAULT=1 (second line), etc., for sub-menus you can use e.g. GRUB_DEFAULT="1>2" (third line in second line submenu), which is often the case when zen is default and lts is in submenu, but there are also the fallbacks.
You sohuld also comment out GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT, e.g.
#GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true
Pay attention to the fact that sometimes (e g. for me) GRUB_DEFAULT was listed twice in /etc/default/grub.
Then sudo update-grub of course.

2 Likes