Game.exe needs to close

I don't know if this is the right place for such a question but here we go!

So i've been using Garude KDE for about a week now and i love it and everything works fine.

I recently installed a windows game with wine and everything was going fine and smooth until it stared to lag, then froze and then close itself. The message i get is:

The program Game.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconveniece.

This can be caused ny a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine. You may want to check the Application Database for tips about running this application.

Hi there, welcome.
I'm not a Wine user nor a fan of it, so I'll not be able to help you, but anyone else will need far more information.
What program exactly was it? Did you have any chance to search on the internet if it is supposed to be working with Wine? Especially but not limited to the Wine application database?
Are there logs in Wine?
Last but not least, your system specs via the output of inxi -Faz?

3 Likes

Indeed, have you checked wineHQ for the game you were playing? Do you have all the installed requirements? i.e. vb/.net/etc what version of wine are you running? What is your GPU and driver? (inxi -Faz) INFO! ;p

2 Likes

Thanks for answering. I thought my system specs would be visible on my post :d.
I was trying to run Spiderman shattered dimensions (kind of an old game) and it was running smoothly until this happened. It is labeled as "Bronze" in wine forums.

CPU:
Info: Quad Core model: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Zen
family: 17 (23) model-id: 11 (17) stepping: 0 microcode: 8101016 cache: L1: 384 KiB L2: 2 MiB
L3: 4 MiB bogomips: 27947
Speed: 1416 MHz min/max: 1600/3500 MHz boost: enabled Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1428 2: 1423
3: 2276 4: 1564

Hi and thanks for answering.

CPU:
Info: Quad Core model: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega Graphics bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Zen
family: 17 (23) model-id: 11 (17) stepping: 0 microcode: 8101016 cache: L1: 384 KiB L2: 2 MiB
L3: 4 MiB bogomips: 27947
Speed: 1416 MHz min/max: 1600/3500 MHz boost: enabled Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1428 2: 1423
3: 2276 4: 1564

Radeon vega 8 integrated graphics.

I was trying to run "Spiderman Shattered dimensions" and it is rated as "Bronze" in the wine forums.

I have the "Open-Source" drivers for amd, if that's is what you mean. If there are different versions and i need to check that somehow tell me!

I am a little noob with wine so i don't know how to install any libraries.

My wine version is: Wine - 6.22

Thanks for answering!

Aight and just in time. (just heading to bed heh.)

So Wine 6.22 which should be stable in the repos atm. As for installing the libraries for wine the cheeziest way is to use Winetricks. It's an EZ installer for adding all the silly stuff to windows so if a game needs a specific .net winetricks, need to change directX? winetricks yada yada so on and so forth.

So normally a game will have either on it's install medium or in the install folder a "redistrib" or "redist" folder. In that will have all the extra elcrpola it needs to run. This is normally things like a DirectX updater, .net installer, vb or vc versions. Have a look for a folder like that on either the install medium (CD, DVD, what have you) or in the installed games folder.

The next thing is what did you set WINE for? i.e. Windows XP, 7, etc. If the game is from the Win95 era, probably best to set wine to ...win95. If you don't know how to do that open a terminal and type winecfg. Under the Applications tab you will see at the bottom "Windows Version:"

Once you have listed all the things the game needs, set Wine to be the windows the game probably was released for you will want to take the list of things from the redistrib folder and install with winetricks. Once you've done that fire the game back up again.

Outside that note Bronze isn't a super good score. This may mean you will always have crashes and bugs no matter what you do. You will just have to accept some times you'll complete the level, next try it might take a big fat dump on you progress and you'll have to do it over. :wink:

Outside this there are a few things once you've got your head around the basics. Like you can try the gallium nine build of Wine or install dxvk (if you're GPU supports it. I'm not sure about vega GPU's and Vulkan.)

Before I take off I'll toss out one more thing. Your initial post you say you've been in Garuda for about a week but don't say if this is your first time in Linux. If you are new to Linux a few things. When searching for answers a lot of what comes up is for Ubuntu which is a Debian distribution. Garuda is an Arch distribution so always try to find arch based stuff. I say this because I mentioned winetricks...but I don't know if you know how to find/install that. If you search "how to install winetricks" you might get some ubuntu stuff that says "Oh just open a terminal and type apt-get install winetricks." In arch the command will be pacman -S winetricks. Thankfully Garuda has some nice aliases set up to help people with this very thing but I'm just tossing it out there.

Aight my Spidey senses are saying it's time to get the hell outta here so talk tomorrow/tonight (lol who is in what timezone?!) if you need help.

2 Likes

I was running the game with windows 7 mode, tried also vista, but with no luck.

Decided to dump this game since i figured it would never work with a bronze rating :D.

I've been using linux for about 4 months. I have even succesfuly installed arch, but figured i didn't like all the hassle to get everything working so i came back to an arch-based distro.

Thanks for your response and your time. It is greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Often the windows version won't make a massive difference but you never know when it's the time it makes ALL the difference for a specific game or application. I can normally just set to XP or 7 and forget it. Plus setting it to an older version will make games ditch some DX stuff which can help.

Bronze might still be doable, just may mean like I said, random crashes no matter what. Now I don't know the game but it's it's hours of play before a save or something then yeah that might be an ugly proposition heh. I'd hope the people at winehq would have some details like "runs fine until level X then ALWAYS crashes" that would be helpful to know if that's the nature.

Bronze rating is a terrible rating, it is only above borked rating. I only play Windows games under Wine/Proton if rated Gold or above.

I said that but I also said read the comments. It could be 100% certain to crash at specific places making it completely unplayable or it might just be obnoxious random crashes that make every play a russian roulette. :slight_smile:

I'd also not discourage some experimentation with something even if rated crappy. I've got games rated gold and plat on WineHQ that break with ever .bla release of Wine. Those ratings never get revised or updated. Maybe it's fixed, maybe it's at least not as bad. Tweak, try, cry :wink: