Freezes on boot after installing propriatary nvida GPU drivers

I have a different GPU, but I had the same issue with plymouth. I ended up uninstalling it and replacing it with plymouth-git. Since then it has been working properly.

2 Likes

Since you are running a fixed-release distro you have a stable and well-tested version of the driver and also Plymouth. Thatā€™s what challenging in a rolling distro. We are the users who use the latest versions, report bugs and help making them fixed and stable by the time the fixed-release distros get the updates.

You can try booting by removing quiet and splash from kernel parameters in the GRUB screen. To edit kernel parameter, press E in the GRUB menu.

Also report the bugs to the respective packages if they arenā€™t reported yet :blush:

6 Likes

I can try that.

Holy effing shit! If I really wanted to run Arch-based distros and someone handed me a gimme like that, I think Iā€™d quit begging and learn about it. You can read, canā€™t you?

Maybe you better stick with Popcorn_OS.

3 Likes

Such a helpful comment. Maybe stick to staying quiet instead? Not everybody has the time to keep reading the wikis, which may or may not be of help in this situation. There is so much bullshit info going around and troubleshooting issues isn't straightforward because of the reasons mentioned earlier on this post.

1 Like

Oh, oh, but others can do it for you, brilliant.
But then you should also pay when others waste their time for you, right?

Is this how you always do it in life, take, take, take everything for free?

3 Likes

Ever consider that it is really difficult for newbs to troubleshoot and figure stuff out. This hostile approach most arch internet warriors seems to have does not help them at all and will only discourage them. Maybe they leave Linux and leave the mighty arch warriors behind. Userbase stays small full of entitled people, so again, newbies will not want to try Linux further than their first encountered problem.

This is bad for Arch and Linux.

If you help people get through their problems, maybe they stick around and help others who may encounter same problems.

That's good for Arch and Linux.

1 Like

hi @His_Turdness

They did!
And I have?
And that all I have to say!

4 Likes

I have a bunch of Douglas firs to buck up for firewood for the winter Iā€™m busy working on ATM, (just taking a short break). This would likely cost me thousands of dollars to have a professional faller drop and cut up for me. I currently donā€™t have the time to teach someone whoā€™s too lazy to do the research themselves how to edit their grub boot line.

Hows abouts this user comes over to my place and cuts up all my firewood for the winter. Iā€™m an old guy and I donā€™t need to have a heart attack, just the same as this user doesnā€™t want to read a wiki to learn how to edit a grub kernel boot parameter.

If this user is too lazy to do any learning for themself then perhaps they are using the wrong distro. We are not here to do everything for new users. This is not a hand holding society here. New users must be willing to do some learning for themselves.

3 Likes

Congratulations. You perfectly fit the arch stereotype. This was why i was scared to even make a forum post.

1 Like

Thank you! :smiley:

Iā€™ve been running Arch for, say 9 years now. But Iā€™ve been learning Linux for over 20 (and DOS/Windows since 1987 before that). Got any clue how much reading that has requiredā€“especially if I wanted to be able to help other Linux users further down the road? Especially early on when wikis and their ilk were non-existent?

Manuals! Huge, thick, 600+ page manuals!

Iā€™m not bragging at all. Just explaining that thereā€™s a whole lotā€“a shebang loadā€“of learning Linux and it requires copious amounts of reading sometimes, if you want to be proficient.

And itā€™s ever-changing, too. Fast! And that hasnā€™t changed. How do you intend to keep up with it?

Iā€™m so ever grateful that my first distribution was Slackware and the geekiest guy Iā€™ve ever met said if I wanted to run Linux he wouldnā€™t talk to me until I had it installed. And only Slackware.
I cursed his name so many times and now I love him like a brother, still.

Fah on your attitude!

2 Likes

I just said i didn't want to mess with the boot parameters, and in no way did i say that means you have to research for me or do anything at all for me. If i don't want to, that's my problem.

Anyway, i did actually do some troubleshooting. I tried lots of other distros, more than i can count on my fingers. popOS stopped working, and none other worked. Zorin let me boot with old nvidia drivers, and it worked. When i updated, i got the same issue. Turns out newer nvidia drivers just don't work with my current card, and that i can get garuda or any other distro working if i force them to use one of the older drivers.

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone gave me.

2 Likes

As the OP has marked this thread solved I guess we can close it out now.