For easy and fast backups of your plasma desktop configuration

Since a Garuda-ite lost their config recently, I humbly suggest:

Take a look at Konsave for a python based quick backup utility.

It's on the AUR, but that looks strangely to be a mess right now for some, so buyer beware - but it'll probably install for you anyway. (EDIT: Just tested it and it installed fine.)

AUR install

paru konsave

EDIT: P.S. I do use this. I spend an unholy amount of time tweaking my desktop, losing it would kill me.

4 Likes

Using the above method is not recommended as it may lead to issues. Best to always install using your package manager or other officially endorsed Arch Linux methods.

7 Likes

What issues?

Package conflicts that sometimes can be a real pain to resolve.

it's best to always use a method that the Arch Wiki recommends, rather than the pip installation method.

5 Likes

Ah. A best practices thing. OK, changed OP.

3 Likes

There's always good old

git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/konsave.git
cd konsave
makepkg (install any missing depends and repeat)
sudo pacman -U konsave-ver-arch.tar.gz
5 Likes

That's good (I love seeing it), but I believe @tbg was hinting that using konsave was not a very good practice, as konsave uses pip as the backup/pkg manager. Using pip to install python packages in Arch has caused innumerable updating problems in the past.

There are better methods. Heck, we're spending time learning BTRFS & Timeshift, why not spend a little bit more and learn how to use rsync or other methods, too?

regards

2 Likes

To be more specific, the issue with using pip on Arch-based distro is that when you run pip with privileges(as root or with sudo) it installs into system locations such as /usr and then when a package brings in a dependency that shares a file with something you have installed via pip you end up with a problem.

Running pip without root will allow it to install into your home directory which won't cause any package management issues. However, unless you have a working understanding of Python you may end up in some weird situations with Python dependencies depending on what you install.

Err...what? Are you sure? I didn't read 100% of the code but it doesn't look like it uses pip to do backups. Is that even possible?

It depends what you are trying to backup and for what purpose. The nice thing about the tools that do these specific config backups is they can be used to easily backup your config and transport it somewhere else. For example, a different machine running a different distro. To me, it is much better method than sharing a home directory or restoring a backup of one home directory to another.

4 Likes

I'm going to concur with this opinion as I've run into such headaches in the past. @tbg nailed it in summary. Better the demons you know than the ones you don't.

1 Like

Why not just save HOME directory files (backups) to external drives. All your important files won't be lost if your computer goes down. Unless you're more concerned about specific configurations and settings for a specific distro. Anyway, ultimately the choice is yours. Just throwing an idea out there. There's always a way.

Like I said, it depends why you are making backups. Sometimes config backups are not about DR. Sometimes you make config backups so you can transfer them somewhere else. Bringing a whole home directory in from somewhere else is a big risk and never what I want to do personally. Further, the plasma config files are all over the place. It isn't that easy to just extract those in a simple way.

Another use case is maybe you make a bunch of plasma changes and realize it didn't turn out like you wanted it and want to put it back the way it was a few hours before. You don't want to restore you entire home directory because that will overwrite too much.

I am sure there are more use case like those. The reality is there isn't ever a best solution for every problem. You need to find what works best for you in any given situation.

In your case, that might be backups of your home directory. In someone else's, plasma config backups might be more appropriately. In my case, I prefer both solutions and filesystem snapshots on top of that.

2 Likes

I misread @tbg's statement up above. I read it as konsave used pip as a package installer, not that the OP was using pip to install konsave. And, no, you can't. Oops! :slight_smile:

Each to his own. :slight_smile: I'm so used to doing what I do and how I do it I just keep doing it. Even if these new tools do make it easier to do. But I have learned to trust a few of them after long-term use, such as Octopi. :wink:

I'm just an old fuddy-duddy.
:sob:

6 Likes

I feel your pain :wink:

1 Like

There, there. One day you'll graduate to old gadfly. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :laughing:

3 Likes

One of my favorite features of konsave is being able to restore from one of many backups, allowing you to swap out themes and layouts with ease. And you can extract backups to share with others. Pretty neat.

Backup-wise I find it's useful to act as a big undo button. Lasting backups I do with rsync to a homebuilt server, and tar+pzstd to pack up the lot to the cloud once in a while.

Remember the three pillars of computing:

1. Backup
  2. Backup
  3. Backup
6 Likes

Probably so. Right now I'm installing Garuda on a 2nd Gen. Core i3, N5050 laptop with a 500 gig spinner and 4 gigs of shared ram, and MBR.

Got it from my deceased father. Gonna torture it. That says a lot about the regard I held for the old farker. :wink:

EDIT: Hey, this Garuda Xfce is really well put together, and it's scaling is nice to have on a 15" screen (it's been awhile since I last ran Xfce).

5 Likes

This seems a fact.
One more fact IMO is that we need a tool/utility that will log plasma (DE) version when backing up config files, presenting the version to the user, when it is going to be imported (user responsibility for the version difference).

FWIW, when applying config changes manually (using file operations) on KDE, while Plasma/KDE is alive, may not guarantee success. TTY or other cold copy would be preferred.

Maybe after temperature goes down we can do some coding... :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes