Firedragon questions: Reinstallation and removing "Your browser is being managed by your organization."

Hello, I recently installed Garuda on a new laptop and elected to remove Firedragon in favor of Firefox. The github cli login doesn't seem to work with Firefox so I attempted to reinstall Firedragon. Two issues:

1. It doesn't appear to be the "stable" version (output below).
  2. I need to remove "Your browser is being managed by your organization." as I'd like to login with my Firefox account.

How do I correctly reinstall Firedragon-stable?

Output of "pacman -Qi firedragon firedragon-stable":

Name            : firedragon
Version         : 89.0.1-1
Description     : Librewolf fork build using custom branding, settings & KDE patches by OpenSUSE
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://gitlab.com/dr460nf1r3/settings/
Licenses        : MPL  GPL  LGPL
Groups          : None
Provides        : None
Depends On      : gtk3  libxt  mime-types  dbus-glib  ffmpeg  nss  nspr  ttf-font  libpulse  libwebp  libvpx  libjpeg  zlib  icu  libevent  libpipewire02  aom  harfbuzz  graphite  dav1d  kfiredragonhelper
Optional Deps   : firejail-git: Sandboxing the browser using the included profiles
                  profile-sync-daemon: Load the browser profile into RAM [installed]
                  whoogle: Searching the web using a locally running Whoogle instance
                  searx: Searching the web using a locally running searX instance
                  networkmanager: Location detection via available WiFi networks [installed]
                  libnotify: Notification integration [installed]
                  pulseaudio: Audio support [installed]
                  speech-dispatcher: Text-to-Speech
                  hunspell-en_US: Spell checking, American English
                  libappindicator-gtk3: Global menu support for GTK apps [installed]
                  appmenu-gtk-module-git: Appmenu for GTK only
                  plasma5-applets-window-appmenu: Appmenu for Plasma only [installed]
Required By     : None
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : firedragon-hg
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 193.77 MiB
Packager        : Chaotic-AUR Wild Bear Node <[email protected]>
Build Date      : Tue 22 Jun 2021 01:22:03 AM EDT
Install Date    : Wed 23 Jun 2021 11:23:40 PM EDT
Install Reason  : Explicitly installed
Install Script  : Yes
Validated By    : Signature

error: package 'firedragon-stable' was not found

Hint:
If you include terminal outputs in your post please use the proper output format in your post. Using "~" 3 times above and "~" 3 times below the text block will provide a readable, raw look.

Sooo, first of all welcome to the forum :grin:
The firedragon package has become the stable build. The previous naming scheme was quite unconventional - the original plan was to provide a Librewolf Nightly build with custom branding so firedragon was of course the package name of choice. I was not thinking about providing a stable build back then. But eventually it happened and after some time the browser became default browser of Garuda as it enabled shipping own settings eg. being able to use webconferencing & DRM protected content. To comply with AUR guidelines: firedragon-stablefiredragon and firedragonfiredragon-hg (like -git packages) which means you have the correct version installed which also gets obvious when looking at the version - Firefox itself is at version 89.0.1 as well :slight_smile:

That means you would have to remove either /usr/lib/firedragon/firedragon.cfg or /usr/lib/firedragon/distribution/policies.json - both of them provide a reasonable amount of the settings responsible for the features of this browser (and will appear again after updating).

6 Likes

Great! Much thanks for the prompt response!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.