Fallout from failed update: firefox cant load profile

as fallout from this: Gone a week, update hung, power cycled, now in emergency mode - #10 by czrpb

firefox from the command-line fails to find profile but using --profile to the expected dir works!??!

FAILS: firefox
WORKS: firefox --profile ~/.mozilla/firefox

thoughts anyone?

also, starting firefox this way just gets me to the basic browser; ex: none of my bookmarks are available even though the .mozilla directory looks pretty complete.

Maybe updating from chroot changed some permissions within your home?
You could try

sudo chown -R $USER: $HOME

thx! didnt seem to change anything.

i suppose a bit more info:

dialog appears . . .

❯ strace -e trace=file -o /tmp/out.out firefox                                                                                                          ─╯
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1035:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave

###!!! [Child][RunMessage] Error: Channel closing: too late to send/recv, messages will be lost

not finding anything obvious in the strace output.

Please, post your inxi -Faz.

Did you search in web?
Check if FireDragon or librewolf have same problem.

A simple thing you could try to do is to create a new profile in Firefox, close and copy all the contents from the old profile folder to the new one.
You didn't mention If you use profile sync daemon (psd) though. If so, this could also play a role in the problem.

1 Like

hi!

i eventually just reinstalled garuda. i copied off my .config to my "real" drive for reference and just started over.

did i lose anything? well, probably only bookmarks, but well .. who really goes back and reads those!?? :laughing:

thx garuda team!!