Dropping several garuda editions

No, I know what a GUI is. I didn't understand what he meant by Garuda still having a GUI. Does he want a headless server?

Yep, I will make a TUI-based installation. There are ways to make several terminals on one screen like a window manager, btw. And some users complain about systemd, so I guess I need to use Artix as the base install

1 Like

Anyways, I will express my overall view in another thread

You need a tui installer :sweat_smile:

Yep, exactly

Used TUI based installers rarely. Most recently, in Debian netinstall. Not user-friendly, but installed only what I wanted and nothing else, which I love.

Is this actually serious talk? :eyes:
Unless you are going to rewrite tons of systemd services I dont really see this working, almost all of the performance tweaks are not compatible with alternative init systems :thinking:

2 Likes

Well, that's why it's up to user to decide whether or not he should use systemd :wink: And no, I won't port all of the performance tweaks, and according to suckless philosophy, it's not needed. The users might do that, but this is not the requirement for the dev.

I really really want to create a separate topic for this, actually. I have too much ideas to share and too much questions to ask!

I do think the KDE multimedia is a good spin though I could maybe help with it.
EDIT: I think I will maintain it.

I am a new user of Garuda and unfortunately have not the knowledge of coding to help maintain the KDE multmedia edition. I tried 3 different versions of Garuda Iso, Garuda Gnome , Garuda XFCE and KDE-Multimedia, the latter was the only one of the three that was quick and easy to install and the only problem I had with it was an unresponsive latte-dock. Once I replaced it with Plank ( community ), everything worked perfect. I have had zero prob;lems with my installl since. I realise you are trying to make it easier for the devs, and I have no issues with that. I appreciate everything you are doing, but if you are going to de-list KDE multimedia , I would appreciate it if you could make a reccommended alternative. P.S. Everything works fine just now.Stay Safe!

Well, if you read this thread -

You’ll see @RUanauR has stepped-up and is willing to go for it.

Hop on over and give them kudos and likes for it? I’m sure ideas and and perspectives will help.

And, of course, welcome @TaoCeti :wave:

2 Likes

Welcome,
the alternative is realy in use with Garuda-Gamer in
Garuda-Welcome

3 Likes

I am just suggesting to expand our developers community.
To promote a new contributor we need a developers page on our wiki.
If any one who want to maintain or contribute in Garuda, they will find all little details on wiki page of developer section. And we can give also a certificate kind of thing on their first contribution to attract a new developer.

It's on the website already, no need to make a separate wiki page Garuda Linux | About

2 Likes

We are maintaining a distro, not a college project.

3 Likes

I am not saying about separate wiki page
BTW my suggestion maybe not good :grinning:

I think that if we need some software that wasn't already developed and we don't have enough developers to make it we will just make a forum post about it, as we clearly need feedback instead of a static wiki page. Wiki should be for info, not for dialogue

1 Like

Hey,
I just dig up the topic and if I can be in some help around the blackarch edition I will love to.

If you know want to help maintaining BlackArch, feel free to! You can always make merge requests :slight_smile:

2 Likes

hum hum....

is there any interest in another edition ?

similar to kde dragonized but:

• kde git master ( kde git from chaotic )
  • similar layout and functionality but breeze theming ( also ... not so dark , more standard. the theming may get in the way of kde git... sometimes latte breaks too, if so, try to mimic latte but with standard panel )
  • xanmod kernel
  • some more little customizations/add apps I do??

I would love to do this :slight_smile:

1 Like