Disable find-the-command

how do i disable find-the-command in zsh ? hate that thing.

1 Like

I think you should go to ~/.zshrc and comment this line:

[[ -e /usr/share/doc/find-the-command/ftc.zsh ]] && source /usr/share/doc/find-the-command/ftc.zsh
Then you can unistall the package, of course.

1 Like

its not in there! ive been grepping everything and cant find it. cant uninstall easily bc of the dependencies but i care about uninstalling.

That's in our standard garuda-zsh-config (which also brings in find-the-command-git as dependency).

This is also consistent with the upstream instructions:

Maybe you installed or configured it differently? Or changed the ~/.zshrc?
Maybe you sourced it somewhere else (e.g. ~/.zprofile)?
It must be "somewhere" for it to work. See also:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Zsh

I know I shouldn't suggest this, but I'd definitely go for a

sudo pacman -Rdd find-the-command-git

:wink:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Following : Disable find-the-command

I quickly put a Sway Garuda VM to check where the hell it is.

I uninstalled find the command and then bash started spewing this error :
-bash: /usr/share/doc/find-the-command/ftc.bash: No such file or directory

So bash shell is sourced then zsh, I believe only one shell should be set as default as this was very confusing, commenting lines in zsh did not help as the line was sourced from the .bashrc file.

.bashrc is executed then .zshrc then we get our shell, that’s the only way I can explain what happens at the moment.

Something is odd about your configuration. It sounds like your specific setup has introduced some unexpected behavior. I can confirm the stock configuration does not have the behavior you are describing.

On Sway, after removing find-the-command-git I get this output from each shell:

❯ zsh
zsh: command not found: neofetch

Neofetch is not installed so this is expected. [Side note: we should update the default .zsh so it calls Fastfetch instead.]

❯ bash
bash: /usr/share/doc/find-the-command/ftc.bash: No such file or directory

This looks like the output you are getting, which I get by explicitly switching to Bash.

❯ fish
source: Error encountered while sourcing file '/usr/share/doc/find-the-command/ftc.fish':
source: No such file or directory

The default terminal is configured to use Fish when it launches. If I set my terminal to use Zsh by default instead of Fish (edit ~/.config/foot/foot.ini and set shell= to /bin/zsh), I only get the Zsh output when opening a new terminal.

zsh: command not found: neofetch

By the way: Zsh is the only shell that doesn’t complain about the missing find-the-command package. This is because the way the .zsh has been set up , it first checks for the pkgfile before running it.

# Arch Linux command-not-found support, you must have package pkgfile installed
# https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pkgfile#.22Command_not_found.22_hook
[[ -e /usr/share/doc/pkgfile/command-not-found.zsh ]] && source /usr/share/doc/pkgfile/command-not-found.zsh

# Advanced command-not-found hook
[[ -e /usr/share/doc/find-the-command/ftc.zsh ]] && source /usr/share/doc/find-the-command/ftc.zsh

In any case, .bashrc is not sourced at all.

If you are trying to use Zsh but are getting output from Bash, something is wrong with the way you have configured your system to use Zsh. You may be including a call to .bashrc somewhere without realizing it, or else have configured the system to switch to Zsh in an odd way which is having some unexpected side effects.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 8 days. New replies are no longer allowed.