Desktop frozen BUT the mouse still moves. how to restart desktop?

I’m not sure the source of the issues you are having; it sound like there may be more than one problem.

The only glaring issue I can see is from your inxi it looks like you took an update (including updating the kernel, I would guess judging by the dates and the kernel version noted) but left the system running instead of rebooting. Sometimes services need to be stopped/restarted after updates, and after a kernel update it is good to fully reboot–otherwise, certain things can be broken.

It is better to not update every day if the system is going to have continuous uptime like this. Updating once a week is fine, or even every couple of weeks but you should do it when you will have time to take a full reboot afterward.

Recently some folks have had issues getting stuck on Plymouth after updating (maybe a bug in Plymouth). Try removing splash from the kernel parameters to see if it helps. Fresh Garuda installation won’t boot except in recovery mode - #7 by Alenox

This is not needed for running Docker on a Btrfs system–rather, this would be used if you wanted to set up a Btrfs filesystem inside your Docker container. I’m not sure what the errors you had were about (paste them into the thread so we can take a look), but you don’t need to set this up to use Docker.

The main workflow change I would recommend would be to have a more cautious update strategy if you want to have a prolonged uptime. Get ready before pulling down an update (make backups if you have a system in place, etc), then reboot afterward and troubleshoot any issues that the update pulled down.

This is not intended to be a maintenance-free distro, if that is what you mean. If you want something that can run and run and run for weeks or months with hardly any maintenance or intervention, you may be better served by a distro like Debian (easy mode) or NixOS (some assembly required).

2 Likes