Deletion of Timeshift snapshots caused havoc

The issue stems from booting into a snapshot from grub and then restoring a timeshift backup while booted in the snapshot.

Afterwards, upon every boot, the machine boots to the system files in /timeshift/btrfs/snapshots/x/
x being whichever snapshot you did the restore in

I noticed the issue when I couldn't boot into a new kernel I had installed. The new kernel was installed to the main system files, but the computer was booting the system from the snapshot instead. All I could see were the old kernels. What really tipped me off is when I uninstalled a kernel and then managed to boot into it with no problems.

In order to fix this, edit the grub entry and replace all instances of /@/timeshift/btrfs/snapshots/x/ with just /@/
You should boot up like normal

After logging in, open up terminal and run sudo update-grub
I would also run sudo pacman -Syu because the post-transaction hooks also seem to help fix all the files with the wrong starting directory
This should fix all the entries in grub to boot to the actual system files not a snaphot

In really bad situation where this does not fix the problem, you can also run sudo grub-install /dev/insert_drive_name_here

4 Likes