Customizing Gnome even with breaking extensions in Gnome4x

That's sweet of you, but the hate always falls back on Garuda Linux and not the individual maintainer.

The developer team has a private life and can't just look after your interests,
your pestering here and on Telegram isn't really helping.

It would have been nice if you had participated in the forum since using Garuda Gnome here with suggestions for improvement , and also in general.

3 Likes

Okay, that's my fault, and obviously sorry for my continuous annoyance everywhere, I just wanted to make Garuda better, but not by my completely childish behavior. I have decided to make a Garuda Gnome Customized edition and upload them in my cloud drives and host a site about that in my GitHub and Gitlab account. Will share it to the telegram group also⁣:sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: However, I'll try my best to keep it as stable as every other edition. Thanks for all the support from you guys. And Sorry also from the core of my heart. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: But I'll be grateful if you all make those packages available in repos please:pray:

Don't worry about that. I am currently testing libinput-gestures, in Cinnamon. After I check its reliability, I will add it one by one to each edition.

I like your confidence and eagerness and willingness to do things.
But we have to be very careful and test each thing ourselves to ensure reliability.

The most important thing about Gnome is its userbase. After Dr460nized editions, most used edition is Gnome. So, we are obviously reluctant to take the risks there.

Also, you are very new to community as well as maintaining own distro thing. So, kindly be part of the community and try to learn swimming, before plunging into the ocean.

3 Likes

I agree with you, and I'm from now on this forum always, helping and guiding and taking guide from everyone. I'll also make a GDM customization thread, where I'll write about customizing the GDM in details. And also thanks to all of you for guiding me so much. Within this small-time, I have learned a lot.

2 Likes

By the way the dbus-x11 package is very necessary for every xorg user, as it allows using dbus-launch under xorg, can we get it in repo asap?

4 Likes

I don't know why you need dbus-x11 when dbus is included in official Arch repository
https://archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/dbus/
Does it provide something special?

1 Like

Yes obviously, dbus-launch is the feature, with the dbus package dbus-launch only works in wayland but with this package it works also in xorg, making it easy to use any gnome app as root user and also allows using dconf-editor. By the way how can I request for packages in that topic, I'm getting no option.

Copy and paste your text to this thread, after the last post there.

I guess I'm not allowed yet. :frowning:

Let me check, maybe you do not have the TL to post there.

I ask @dr460nf1r3 if it is possible to add.
But I know he is very busy this weekend. :smiley: :grin:

2 Likes

I added the package to our repo nevertheless :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

As I requested in the github, Nico has added it​:wink::wink::wink::wink:

I'm not convinced this is correct - what are you basing this on, or what doesn't work?

1 Like
    ╭─[email protected] in ~ took 24s
    ╰─λ sudo nautilus
    [sudo] password for soumyaxgaruda:
    GSConnect: No translation file found for domain
    <IntrospectionModule 'Nautilus' from '/usr/lib/girepository-1.0/Nautilus-3.0.typelib'>
    Insync Nautilus Plugin
    <class 'insync-nautilus-plugin.InsyncExtension'>
    [Errno 2] No translation file found for domain: 'nautilus-pdf-tools'
    [init insync plugin] <insync-nautilus-plugin.InsyncExtension object at 0x7f0606100ec0 (uninitialized at 0x(nil))>
    Initializing nautilus-image-converter extension

(org.gnome.Nautilus:398267): dconf-WARNING **: 11:38:42.883: failed to commit changes to dconf: Error spawning command line “dbus-launch --autolaunch=affbebbec2504fab88ffb995609bb000 --binary-syntax --close-stderr”: Child process exited with code 1

(org.gnome.Nautilus:398267): dconf-WARNING **: 11:38:42.883: failed to commit changes to dconf: Error spawning command line “dbus-launch --autolaunch=affbebbec2504fab88ffb995609bb000 --binary-syntax --close-stderr”: Child process exited with code 1
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/share/nautilus-python/extensions/nautilus-gsconnect.py", line 81, in _init_async
    proxy = proxy.new_for_bus_finish(res)
    gi.repository.GLib.GError: g-spawn-exit-error-quark: Error spawning command line “dbus-launch --autolaunch=affbebbec2504fab88ffb995609bb000 --binary-syntax --close-stderr”: Child process exited with code 1 (1)

** (org.gnome.Nautilus:398267): WARNING **: 11:38:42.982: Unable to get contents of the bookmarks file: Error opening file /root/.gtk-bookmarks: No such file or directory

** (org.gnome.Nautilus:398267): CRITICAL **: 11:38:43.021: update_dbus_opened_locations: assertion 'dbus_object_path' failed

(org.gnome.Nautilus:398267): dconf-WARNING **: 11:38:43.021: failed to commit changes to dconf: Error spawning command line “dbus-launch --autolaunch=affbebbec2504fab88ffb995609bb000 --binary-syntax --close-stderr”: Child process exited with code 1

(org.gnome.Nautilus:398267): dconf-WARNING **: 11:38:44.930: failed to commit changes to dconf: Error spawning command line “dbus-launch --autolaunch=affbebbec2504fab88ffb995609bb000 --binary-syntax --close-stderr”: Child process exited with code 1

(org.gnome.Nautilus:398267): dconf-WARNING **: 11:38:44.930: failed to commit changes to dconf: Error spawning command line “dbus-launch --autolaunch=affbebbec2504fab88ffb995609bb000 --binary-syntax --close-stderr”: Child process exited with code 1

(org.gnome.Nautilus:398267): dconf-WARNING **: 11:38:47.252: failed to commit changes to dconf: Error spawning command line “dbus-launch --autolaunch=affbebbec2504fab88ffb995609bb000 --binary-syntax --close-stderr”: Child process exited with code 1

(org.gnome.Nautilus:398267): dconf-WARNING **: 11:38:47.253: failed to commit changes to dconf: Error spawning command line “dbus-launch --autolaunch=affbebbec2504fab88ffb995609bb000 --binary-syntax --close-stderr”: Child process exited with code 1

(org.gnome.Nautilus:398267): dconf-WARNING **: 11:38:47.747: failed to commit changes to dconf: Error spawning command line “dbus-launch --autolaunch=affbebbec2504fab88ffb995609bb000 --binary-syntax --close-stderr”: Child process exited with code 1

(org.gnome.Nautilus:398267): dconf-WARNING **: 11:38:47.747: failed to commit changes to dconf: Error spawning command line “dbus-launch --autolaunch=affbebbec2504fab88ffb995609bb000 --binary-syntax --close-stderr”: Child process exited with code 1

(org.gnome.Nautilus:398267): dconf-WARNING **: 11:38:48.033: failed to commit changes to dconf: Error spawning command line “dbus-launch --autolaunch=affbebbec2504fab88ffb995609bb000 --binary-syntax --close-stderr”: Child process exited with code 1

(org.gnome.Nautilus:398267): dconf-WARNING **: 11:38:48.033: failed to commit changes to dconf: Error spawning command line “dbus-launch --autolaunch=affbebbec2504fab88ffb995609bb000 --binary-syntax --close-stderr”: Child process exited with code 1

Please read

Why are you running a GUI application directly with sudo? This will likely be why dbus-launch doesn't work, as the session variables will be wrong.

This sort of situation is called an XY Problem - you have an initial problem X and you think Y might be a solution, but Y doesn't work so you try to fix Y.

4 Likes

It works perfectly in wayland. When I use dconf editor same thing happens. And dconf editor is necessary to run from sudo to customize gdm.

Interesting... let me test sudo -u gdm dbus-launch as per https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GDM#dconf_configuration

Edit: seems to work fine under Xorg - I changed the icon and cursor theme and enabled Night Light. :thinking:

The command dbus-launch is not necessary in wayland. But in xorg it needs. Every single time it is necessary to run apps as root user like gedit, dcof-editor etc. And if there is option to reduce stress on remembering comnands, why shall we not use it?

This is what pkexec is for?

2 Likes