Critical bug: Gaming edition installer has boot-blocking package conflict

Hello,

Sorry if posting in incorrect place - started only yesterday, brand new to this distro, found a show-stopper bug and know how to fix it - wanted to share it with the devs.

I think I have this figured out, so it’s mostly a matter of tech person transfering it to the iso file.
Issue only in dragonized gaming edition - the “dragonized-only” doesn’t have it.

Right to the matter - live usb couldn’t boot past “Goal reached graphical user interface” (or something like that). It’s not really “frozen” per-say, but won’t progress past that point. Can still switch to other terminals, or ctrl-alt-delete to perfrom “soft restart” (linux output shows correct shutdown procedure being initialized).

Switched to second terminal, read through the logs: the mhwd failed when installing nvidia drivers.
Failure reason - pacman reported package conflict between python-pyxdg and python-xdg.
python-xdg is a dependency for oversteer (logitech mouse wheel handler) and nothing else.
sudo pacman -R oversteer python-xdg
sudo mhwd --install pci nvidia-something-something

After this live usb booted correctly.

As the issue is a show-stopper, I believe system boot should take priority over mouse wheel working nice.
I still couldn’t complete the GE installation - after reboot it just goes straight into kernel panick; barely managed to boot into terminal, tried force-reinstalling all packages, but pacman reported pretty much every single package broken, including network manager - hence can’t reinstall. But I don’t really care to deal with that - base dragonized installed quick and easy.

System specs:

• CPU: Ryzen 3900
  • RAM: 2x G.Skill 16Gb 3600 16-19-19-36
  • Graphics: Asus ROG Nvidia GeForce 2080 Super OC
  • MB: Asus ROG Stric X570E-gaming
  • Others: Asus ROG Ryuujin 360 AIO cooler.

Hope this helps with new people coming in.

Best regards,
Yuri

11 Likes

Hi,
Thanks for giving us feedback about the critical problem in garuda dragonized gaming edition :slightly_smiling_face:
And :
95c8e75418a82c8389bdb6a8795898065618f4f1 :wink:

6 Likes

This is a great finding, gotta implement this right away. Thanks for letting us know about it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This explains why especially this edition was overly problematic for NVIDIA users. Thanks again!

9 Likes

@MinamiYuri the latest ISO contains this fix. I have run it but I don’t have NVIDIA anymore so I can only tell it works fine with open source drivers.

If you can try it out that would be great.

4 Likes

@FGD
I appreciate the quick fix. I can confirm that the ISO booted up fine now - in fact, I’m typing from it.

However, there is now an issue with the installer not starting. Seems like packages got upgraded beyond what the calamares depends on. Console output:

╭─garuda@garuda in ~ as 🧙 took 2s
[🔴] × calamares
calamares: error while loading shared libraries: libyaml-cpp.so.0.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

╭─garuda@garuda in ~ as 🧙 took 2s
[🔴] × sudo find / -name "*libyaml-cpp*"
find: ‘/proc/15751/task/15751/net’: Invalid argument
find: ‘/proc/15751/net’: Invalid argument
find: ‘/run/user/1000/doc’: Permission denied
/run/miso/sfs/livefs/usr/lib/libyaml-cpp.so
/run/miso/sfs/livefs/usr/lib/libyaml-cpp.so.0.8
/run/miso/sfs/livefs/usr/lib/libyaml-cpp.so.0.8.0
/usr/lib/libyaml-cpp.so
/usr/lib/libyaml-cpp.so.0.8
/usr/lib/libyaml-cpp.so.0.8.0

It seems like 0.7 doesn’t exist in arch repos.

╭─garuda@garuda in ~ as 🧙 took 54ms
╰─λ sudo pacman -Ss yaml-cpp
extra/yaml-cpp 0.8.0-1 [installed]
YAML parser and emitter in C++, written around the YAML 1.2 spec

Last time I bypassed this by symlinking the newer version out of desperation, which might, just might, be why my installation was 100% broken :grinning:

So… I guess time to recompile calamares? :slight_smile:

p.s. I’m fine testing these things up to “begin installation” button, but please note I already made a comfortable home with the base version, and don’t want to reinstall on top :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Jurgis

4 Likes

Tnx for pointing out, we will take a look.
Calamares was working a few days ago so things change quickly. :smiley:

6 Likes

I just did that, thanks for confirming this did in fact fix the boot process :rocket:

5 Likes

The latest Gaming ISO has a working Installer, was able to install and reboot.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.