Changing from Mint

Have been using Linux for many years and have hopped from many distros to another. Always came back to mint. Trying to decide on multi booting 2 distros along with Windows or else take the plunge and remove mint and replace. I don't use Linux for anything other than just having fun. I only have windows installed because of Access. Feedback and opinions welcome.

1 Like

I always just replace and start over but it can be nice to have something to fall back on. There have definitely been times where I jump distros and then come to regret my choice. Then, if you find yourself not using the old distro at all you can then nuke the partition to be used with something else.

2 Likes

I guess the main thing that it boils down to what kind of fun are you looking for?
If your idea of fun is getting out of your comfort zone and trying something totally new, you could still keep Mint as something to look at for comparison.
If you want to try something new and not have a need to look back, you could get rid of Mint.

I know I can only speak for myself, but I’m having a blast with Garuda since it’s Arch based (and thus new packages to have fun with). It’s a great entry point for a first time into the world of Arch as it really streamlines the experience. I’ve haven’t felt the need to go back to another distro yet.

5 Likes

Hi usfarang. I used to think like you and am now exclusively using Garuda for my daily driver about net browsing, reading news, consuming content. I still have windows in case my learning gets wrong or I do a mistake that may take a bit of time for me to sort out.
I realize that I am booting less and less windows.
This is great to keep dual boot for learning and security purpose, but having loved my Garuda since December 2021 discovery and first install!

2 Likes

Welcome! :wave:
You could also consider using a Windows VM if you can get it working with Access, but if it doesn't work out then I guess you will always just have to have a Windows OS just for work and use Linux for everything else :v

What usually makes you stick with Mint? Is it the reliability, or maybe the Ubuntu base?

I gave my Windows install of 4 years the big nuke and replaced it with Garuda as my first ever full-time Linux distro lol. Not encouraging you to do the same, but it speaks for how new-user-friendly Garuda is :slight_smile: they say Garuda is Arch for humans.
You should give it a go for a while, see how you like it compared to Mint ^^ but be warned - once you start using the AUR and the Arch Wiki, you might not want to go back :joy:

5 Likes

I Like Mint's stability and ease of use. It's a little outdated on style but that's ok. My first impression of Garuda was that it was cool, fast but as it was new it was also confusing to me. I was a little surprised with the gaming choice though, not enough and not very good. I had decided it was not for me then a new update for Mint took it out as the boot menu. Just the opportunity for me. I deleted the partition. No issues after that. Also even though Firefox is open source and is the default on most all distros, it is not for me. Just my 2 cents and opinion. Maybe one day in the future I will take another look. Many thanks and kudo's to the developer.

1 Like