Change default EFI boot size

Hello, been using garuda for a bit and I still loving it.

However I just have one suggestion for the install process and that is to change the default boot partition to 260MB. The reason for this is because I use an Advanced Format drive and 300MB doesn't format to fat32 correctly (You won't know this happened until its finished and doesn't even boot)

This issue seems very common across all distros for some reason.
The alternative is to issue mkfs.vfat -F32 -S2 /dev/sdx which would enable the format to go ahead by adjusting the sector size so it is compatible with 4k format

Currently I have to use the terminal to create the partiton and format it before I begin the installation process as the manual partitioning keeps adjusting the boot partition side to 264MB.

Cheers

1 Like

Yes its possible to reduce it to 260 mb by default

2 Likes

That would be fab, it just saves a step for me to do when I need to reinstall garuda for whatever reason.

Thanks for the quick responses again, you guys are awesome.

2 Likes

Done

5 Likes

Btw my efi partition is only 100MB , dual boot with windows

2 Likes

Hello,

I have mentioned this before under feature request to reduce the size from 300 to 260M as it would otherwise require manual intervention to be able to boot into the garuda linux.

I haven't reinstalled in a while but decided to change towards a wayland native env like sway or wayfire. That's when I noticed the 300M size has returned in the installer so if possible as I can't find it in current location anymore on gitlab, to decrease the size back to 260M

Cheers

Edit:
Ah so it still falls under feature, didn't want to nerco bump it in case.
Been digging around and found the calamares repo

So once again it would be a simple line change from 300 to 260 but now benefiting other distros using it too

1 Like

If it's something that's really bugging you...

• Hand-install Garuda with any size /boot/ or /boot/efi 1 you desire. It is obvious you know how to do so.
  • Don't repeatedly install Garuda, if that is what you are doing. You're operating inside a rolling-release environment.

You can always make a custom Calamares install of Garuda or Arch or any Arch-based (or other) distribution. Configure it how you want, and make it your own. Heck, start your own website and publish your ISOs under any name you want.

Calamares is incredibly easy to work with and the -git resources available for it's use are growing rapidly. I suggest you investigate them. There are many online tutorials.

regards

1 Arch uses /boot and Manjaro or Garuda (and probably others) use /boot/efi but it can be whichever you like.

1 Like

?

Maybe you post on wrong place?

Since this topic was solved, but not closed by forum software, I do it now.

1 Like