Can't update 2 stubborn packages

I have a problem with two packages: intel-compute-runtime-bin and intel-graphics-compiler-bin. Pamac displays them as ready to update, yet trying to do so, ends with the following message:

Warning: installing intel-graphics-compiler-bin (1:1.0.10988-1) breaks dependency 'intel-graphics-compiler-bin=1:1.0.10409' required by intel-compute-runtime-bin
Add intel-compute-runtime-bin to remove
Error: Failed to prepare transaction:
could not satisfy dependencies:
- removing intel-compute-runtime-bin breaks dependency 'intel-gmmlib' required by intel-media-driver

I tried:

• update from pacman but it says it can't find it (even with the right version added)
  • remove and install them again - I can't remove it as it breaks intel-media-driver
  • rebuild - no sell, they depends on each other and can't be build without build the other one
  • update "en masse": I tried sudo pamac install with both packages at once which somehow was the most successful attempt - it downloaded and build the packages, yet finished with error I've written in the above listing

Inxi output:

Welcome to the Forums! :smiley:

What repo are you installing/updating these packages from?

I post build files for these packages, as I'm not yet good at reading them :frowning:
They seem to be download&unpack some .deb files.

intel-compute-runtime-bin: PrivateBin

intel-graphics-compiler-bin: PrivateBin

Update with garuda-update.

Still no success: it says "there is nothing to do" :confused:

garuda-update --aur

?

Well, it "touched" it, but:

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing intel-graphics-compiler-bin (1:1.0.10988-1) breaks dependency 'intel-graphics-compiler-bin=1:1.0.10409' required by intel-compute-runtime-bin
loading packages...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: installing intel-graphics-compiler-bin (1:1.0.10988-1) breaks dependency 'intel-graphics-compiler-bin=1:1.0.10409' required by intel-compute-runtime-bin
error: packages failed to build: intel-compute-runtime-bin-22.16.22992-1

Paru exited with error code 1

Sorry for being such a noob, this is my first Arch distro and haven't got yet how its package system works >_>

PS:
I think it would end better if I could do a "open heart surgery" and just download and extract these .deb files on my own. However:

• I don't know how to mark in the system that such-a-such package is updated and
  • (more important) how to make sure I'll be able to start Garuda the next boot?

Don’t be sorry for that, we feel your difficulty as we all went through such issues at least once when we started on Arch. :slight_smile:

I'd try a

sudo pacman -Rdd intel-graphics-compiler-bin
paru intel-compute-runtime-bin

the second installation should reinstall as dependency the new / correct version of the formerly removed package

Replace them with the official packages.

sudo pacman -S intel-graphics-compiler intel-compute-runtime

Please ignore the advice above by @filo, that's bad practice :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thx @tne! And sorry @felix .
I've always dreamed of being a bad boy, but I won't play with the dependency toy anymore... :grinning:

2 Likes

@filo Ok, It seems to work :smiley: I just rebooted my laptop without problems :smiley:

@TNE Well, I did it and had no problems :wink: However...now when you said that I do wonder how the heck these packages end up on my computer. I'm sure I haven't did any choice in the past that would led to install such packages from the AUR, so I assume they were installed right during Garuda installation.

LOL you made my day with that one.

1 Like

You should still replace them with the official packages using my command, tho. I doubt you want those packages on your system.

I doubt it. We didn’t ever have those in chaotic-aur, so those couldn’t have come from us. You must’ve installed them yourself. Luckily, pacman keeps track of every little change you make, so take a look at /var/log/pacman.log!

1 Like

Yup, you are right, there were installed a month ago. What I's thinking? :cry:

However...

$ sudo pacman -S intel-graphics-compiler intel-compute-runtime 
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: intel-compute-runtime and intel-compute-runtime-bin are in conflict. Remove intel-compute-runtime-bin? [y/N] y
:: intel-graphics-compiler and intel-graphics-compiler-bin are in conflict. Remove intel-graphics-compiler-bin? [y/N] y
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'intel-opencl-clang' required by intel-graphics-compiler
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'intel-gmmlib' required by intel-compute-runtime
:: removing intel-compute-runtime-bin breaks dependency 'intel-gmmlib' required by intel-media-driver

Should I do something similar to what filo had proposed and use pacman -Rdd on those two packages from AUR?

1 Like

I see I see, the aur packages provide some other packages too.

sudo pacman -S intel-graphics-compiler intel-compute-runtime intel-opencl-clang intel-gmmlib

4 Likes

Everything works! :smiley: Thanks everybody! :heart:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.