Can't get my external monitor to work

I'm trying Garuda for the first time, but I haven't been able to get my external display to work (I'm on a laptop). It's all black. When I run xrandr it says:

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 16384 x 16384
eDP connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 382mm x 215mm
   1920x1080    144.00*+  60.00
   1680x1050    144.00
   1280x1024    144.00
   1440x900     144.00
   1280x800     144.00
   1280x720     144.00
   1024x768     144.00
   800x600      144.00
   640x480      144.00
DP-1-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-1-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-1-2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP-1-3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-1-0 connected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
   1280x1024     60.02 +  75.02
   1920x1080     59.94
   1280x960      75.00    70.00    60.00
   1280x720      59.94
   1152x864      75.00    70.00    60.00
   1024x768      75.03    70.07    60.00
   800x600       75.00    72.19    60.32    56.25
   720x480       59.94    59.94
   640x480       75.00    72.81    59.94

Which means it's recognizing the other screen. I don't know if it has something to do with the Nvidia drivers, but when i run arandr, just shows one.

Also, when I run Nvidia X Server Settings, it shows me no configuration options, but shows my external monitor.

I tried to generate the xorg.conf file with nvidia-xconfig, but when I restarted, my laptop screen either showed just the console output before launching the desktop environment or just plain black, while my external monitor showed the desktop.

Just in case, I'm on the Dr460nized gaming version using the Nvidia drivers it comes with, so the chaotic tkg drivers version 460.27.04.

Where did you save the generated file?
Have you tried KDE System Settings Monitors applet?
inxi -SMGxxxaz 
mhwd -li
bash -c 'for Xconf in $(ls /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*.conf | grep -v keyboard); do echo -e "\n" $Xconf ; cat $Xconf ; done'
ls -1 /etc/X11 | grep conf

Have you read this?

1 Like

Power state, or desktop background?

Thanks, petsam! It saved my file automatically in /etc/X11/Xorg.conf, and I guess it does something because it displays the desktop on the external monitor instead of the laptop, while the laptop is black. Since I prefer it to be displayed on my laptop, I just deleted it.

Here is the output of the commands you asked for:

https://bin.garudalinux.org/?0d2a50628b32058a#HcE3u58tjS4SSwAraJnDzTG8jSqVAX1rhJ9Zz2W5iQ7j

If by KDE System Settings Monitor you mean this

Then I hadn't, so I used the settings showed in the previous image and this happened:

That's the full desktop with both displays. The laptop display part is this one:

And if I use these settings (external monitor to the right instead of the left):

It's the same result as the original. Laptop with image, external showing nothing. If I take a screenshot, the right part is a black rectangle.

It's turned on, just shows nothing, not even a command prompt. And doesn't say "No signal" because there's signal, my laptop is recognizing it.

Before or after you deleted the file and had you re-logout/boot?

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-mhwd.conf
##
## Generated by mhwd - Manjaro Hardware Detection
##

You have done something to this file, being empty.
I suggest you reinstall the same driver, using GUI Garuda Settings Manager and reboot.

2 Likes

Before or after you deleted the file and had you re-logout/boot?

Indeed, I had to reboot after I created or deleted the file to see the changes.

You have done something to this file, being empty.
I suggest you reinstall the same driver, using GUI Garuda Settings Manager and reboot.

Which driver? The Nvidia driver? Or which one?

You only have one driver config installed.

mhwd -li
> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
video-hybrid-amd-chaotic-nvidia-dkms-tkg-prime-render-offloading  2020.12.19  false  PCI

Do not post links to external images.
You can upload images in the post, using forum tools.
Only post images when not possible to explain otherwise and never for content that you can provide from terminal commands in terminal output, posted as text.
You've been marked as spammer by the forum software!!!

1 Like

I right clicked on the driver, clicked on Reinstall and this is the output:

Should I worry about all those errors at the end? The file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-mhwd.conf doesn’t exist anymore.

Do not post links to external images.

I’m sorry. When I tried to post the first time, it said I couln’t upload images because I was new.

Oh yes, you should worry a lot!

downloading chaotic-aur.db...
error: target not found: 

Inspect your chaotic-mirrorlist and rearrange Servers to one that is available.
This could be your real problem…
After you fix this, confirm updating without errors from chaotic-aur.

sudo pacman -Syyu

Then, reinstall video driver, before shutting down your PC.

1 Like

Inspect your chaotic-mirrorlist and rearrange Servers to one that is available.

I ran the Setup-Assistant, it asked me to get a recent mirrorlist, I selected Worldwide and United States and Include https mirrors. Then it asked me to update the system, I accepted and there were no errors. Just in case, ran sudo pacman -Syyu, synced core, extra, community, multilib and chaotic-aur, and it says it’s all up to date. Tried reinstalling the video driver, but I got the same error.

You know, I am Greek native. Greek is the most superior language IMHO.
Nevertheless, I use English in the forum, for the sake of understanding. :pensive:
Please read again what I asked you to do and tell me you did that.
Or… I am losing it… :worried:

Tip: ls /etc/pacman.d/

2 Likes

But the 1st mirror/server is in upload mode, I suppose, since it lacks video drivers packages.
You may check other servers (manually, checking the servers in mirrorlist and searching for packages), that may be more complete, or just wait until they sync.
@librewish @pedrohlc ?

I have to prioritize my script for the mirrorlists I suppose…

1 Like

Oh, sorry, I'm just unfamiliar with a lot of stuff, so I didn't know how to check the mirrorlist. I opened the file /etc/pacman.d/chaotic-mirrorlist and the USA server was first (the first one is Brazil, but commented out.) I switched the Germany server to be the first one, then I tried to install the drivers again, but still fails.

How do I check if it's in upload mode? This is my file:

https://bin.garudalinux.org/?28778b1a8ea899b3#GAeL9unf2VzzSKkiARJzn7HEhiy2CyFPhDrSPhTHixEP

Enter server address in FF address (you have to replace $arch=x86_64 and $repo=chaotic-aur) and find the package in the list, if it exists.

For the moment, I think there are some changes in those packages and I am not aware of the real status about them.
You should wait for someone to advise you further. Sorry…

I am sorry. There have been some changes about drivers packages.
Please, check what are the compatible configs for your system, so I may advise further.

mhwd -l
1 Like

Okay, here it is!

https://bin.garudalinux.org/?21e7d073d9cd7bc6#HK4uxfJvj9wWpA5Z1HP47JiRHr1CQjPJDFoEkyPgCm5L

Uninstall your current driver config and install these 2

video-linux
video-nvidia-dkms

Fine-tuning can be done later.

Edit: You should delete any video (nvidia, mhwd, etc. *.conf file (except keyboard) in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/, before rebooting and make sure there is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (parent folder of the above).
They may be created automatically. Check before reboot or logout.

1 Like

Okay, I installed those two packages (the other one was already uninstalled) and checked there were no *.conf files in that folder nor xorg.conf in the parent folder. Now it doesn't boot, just shows this.